No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Info needed on vintage? Michael Harris IOW vase please  (Read 788 times)

Offline Alton11

• Members
Info needed on vintage? Michael Harris IOW vase please
« on: October 15, 2014, 11:30:33 PM »
hoping someone could shed some light in this nice little piece( age, design name...authenticity? ). Stands 4 inches tall x 6.5 inches wide and weighs 36 ounces( 10cm tall x 16.5cm wide and 1020 grams ) base is concave with a button like pontil. thnx for looking.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Info needed on vintage? Michael Harris IOW vase please
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 09:12:21 AM »
A squat tortoiseshell vase, with a coach bolt pontil mark (or prunt) on the base, dating it to 1973.

The signature is interesting, I have questioned the authenticity of these signatures that curl around the prunt before but I have been assured by Ron Wheeler that they are genuine (although they are not the same as Harris's usual signature). I have one example on a verdala bowl. Until now I have only ever seen them on Seaward pieces so it is interesting to see one on a tortoiseshell item - which in this case dates to the same time period.

It seems this style of signature was only used for a short time before being abandoned, I think of it as a 'factory signature' (like the majority of glassworks used) rather than the actual signature of the maker/artist.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand