No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Clockwork service bell in uranium /vaseline glass mount.  (Read 533 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Clockwork service bell in uranium /vaseline glass mount.
« on: October 16, 2014, 08:01:12 PM »
A clockwork desk or counter service bell in a substantial yellow-green uranium glass mount (very reactive to UV light). It stands approximately 10cm high with a 8½cm wide base and weighs 532 grams. I’m not sure whether the glass is free blown and cut or blow moulded or press moulded.

(Permission for the re-use of these images on the GMB granted by Kevin Collins).

The bell has a plated metal top (which presumably would be pressed to activate the clockwork ringing movement). The clockwork movement has no obvious identifying marks.

I imagine this dates from the somewhere between 1840 and 1880.

I have seen several 19th century inkwells or inkstands in this chunky yellow-green uranium glass, sometimes with metal inserts or lids, but the glass was almost always cut to shape rather than pressed or blow moulded.

Has anyone seen something similar in other colours or perhaps with a marked clockwork movement or metal bell top, please?

Any more information welcome.

Fred.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Clockwork service bell in uranium /vaseline glass mount.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 07:03:47 AM »
Fred, is there a bevelled edge around the bottom of the glass?  It looks on the pic as thought there might be both on the inside and the outside edge. 
In which case might it be blown and panel cut?
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 08:24:48 AM »
There is certainly a narrow bevel around the bottom edge, which makes me suspect that the glass has at least been polished externally, and cut panels would be in accord with inkstands of this type.

Fred.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 11:42:13 PM »
so might it be Bohemian glass, and sent over to have the metal inserts put in?
Also could it date later than 19th? or is there a kind of 'cut-off' date for uranium glass? ( I know I should know this and there have been plenty of discussions on the board but I can't remember).
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand