No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina and the Boffos  (Read 46640 times)

Offline Patrick

• Members
Re: Mdina and the Boffos
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2014, 09:16:57 PM »

l'm am proud of my father and brother and will be happy to give any information regarding them and their work,my memory is still good !!

Hi Maria,
 It is so good that you have posted here and yes you should be rightly proud of your Father and Ettore, they were masters of their art !
I have been collecting his wonderful animals and they are admired by me everyday.
 My friend Wolfie is going to have many questions for you ..............
Once again thank you,

Patrick.
Ps , you may not have seen my topic about his animals here http://www.whitefriars.com/smf1/index.php/topic,5513.0.html

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2014, 10:06:24 PM »
Hi Maria, its so wonderful that you have posted here and I am absolutely thrilled. I am an avid collector of your fathers work and I have done extensive research into your Father and Ettore whilst at Whitefriars and after. I visited Malta 3 years ago and Joseph Said at Mdina Glass said that he would try and put me in contact with you but unfortunately I was flying back to the UK the next day so it couldn't be arranged.

I would love to be in touch so if you could be kind enough to email me that would be fantastic, my email address is glassaspirations AT aol DOT com [Mod, to protect against spam harvesting programs it is best, for initial contact, to use only the "email icons" beneath the member details on the left. For now, the full email address in the text has been changed with respect to the "@" and "."]

In the mean time here is a picture of your Father with Mick Payne (you may have taken this pic?) and also what I think must be you with your arms around Vicente? These were taken when Mick visited you in 1984.
Kind regards Wolfie
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2014, 10:15:29 PM »
Hello Maria, we are all so pleased to receive your message. 
As you must have gathered, we hold the work your Father and Brother produced, in very high regard, and have been struggling to find more information that is truthful and accurate about their history.
You have every right to be proud of their work and I suspect that there will be many of us looking forward to more information from you, either in the form of answers to our questions, or just simply information that you feel you would like to share with us about their work and history.
Thank you so much for getting in touch. 
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2014, 10:44:54 AM »
Hi Maria,

Thanks so much for getting in touch !  :D

I'm over the moon !

Cheers , Mike.
Mike

Offline Maria Rosaria Attard

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • boffo's glass
    • Malta
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2014, 11:58:46 AM »
Hi all,many thanks for the welcome you gave me.l tried posting a long reply but l don't think it allowed me.l am not very good with the computer so l hope it comes up,if not l will try post another.
        Kind regards Maria Rosaria

• Members
    • boffo's glass
    • Malta
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2014, 12:40:22 PM »
Hi,back again !
The last posting went through so here l go.
First of all l must apologize to Elizabeth Harris,l was so taken aback with her statement and too quick in answering that l made a mistake as well.They were at my engagement party and not wedding,so their leaving Malta maybe correct but for sure they returned to open a small factory in Gozo.
Ettore joined Mdina Glass in October 1969 as production manager,my father Vincenzo Boffo (Vincent) joined Ettore in July 1970 as head craftman and to teach the young Maltese,Joseph Said was one of the first boys to work there. The Boffo were called in when orders started coming in and production needed to be increased,Mike Harris was an artist and as such each peace of his work was one of and as you all know production need many of the same kind as requested by the orders.
In February 1970 Ettore was very sick,Doctors gave him 10 days,but we had him for 10 more months,he worked on and off till the end.
 August 1970 Jim Munelli joined Mdina Glass. My father Vincenzo could not bear working at Mdina Glass any longer after Ettore passed away and when approached  by the MDG  if if would consider taking a post with them he accepted.He never received an  "Ultimatum " so much so he lived the rest of his life in Malta.Ettore children,two boys Peter and Steve and  his wife Renate continued coming every year to stay with us,it was Steve last week when he was over to tell me about this site and show me some of the comments.
Some of the work  like the Dolphin,fish and others were made by both Boffo's as an extra allowed them,to make in their own time ones a  week. l hope this will be of help to some, l am ready to give any other information you may want to ask.
Thank you again for all the nice words spoken about my dearest father and brother,it filled me with joy to read them after so many years.
 Best regars to all,thank you again for the warm welcome
                              Maria Rosaria

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2014, 02:41:33 PM »
Hi Maria,
 Once again you are a shining star ................  Thank you so much for re posting your lost message.

This-afternoon Wolfie was going to phone Jim Munelli and tell him the news about your contact. Unfortunately Wolfie  has had to go out on an urgent mission so he will probably do it tonight.

I have a beautiful elephant that your father made when he worked for Whitefriars. It was made for the lady who was the manager of the factory shop.

Do you have any of his glass animals ? It would be wonderful to see pictures ......  :)

All best wishes,

Patrick.

• Members
    • boffo's glass
    • Malta
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2014, 05:39:10 PM »
Hi,sorry but l have to make a correction,Ettore was taken ill in February 1971 not 1970.
Patrick,l had a look at your topic,it took me back in time you have a lovely collection,made me regret not keeping more of the glass my father kept bringing home............... l gave so much away,used to tell him stop bringing things we have no more space!! How silly l was.
Patrick did you never have a sitting dog? Or lizard ? They were made in the same way as the standing horses.
l would love to hear from Jim Munelli,he surprised me by turning up at my front door last summer,have lost his address maybe Wolfie could pass on to me his Email. I will need my husband's help for the photos and to post them, l am not very good with the computer,surprised l managed this far.
                    Good evening to all
                                                    Maria Rosaria

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2014, 05:43:40 PM »
Thank-you so much for persevering with the evils of computery stuff so that you can tell us all this! :)

Here's a couple of pictures of some Art Glass from MDG, I hope at least some of it was made by your Dad.  8)

The third image is of jugs made at Mdina.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2014, 08:06:39 PM »

Patrick did you never have a sitting dog? Or lizard ? They were made in the same way as the standing horses.

Maria Rosaria

Hi ,
 No, I only have an MDG sitting dog........( Similar to the image of Baked Beans dogs below )

However I have spoken to a Whitefriars gaffer that knew and watched Boffo making glass. He remembers him making lizards and he also remembers your dad selling them for £ 2.00 each ( for his beer money ).

Best wishes,
                  Patrick.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand