No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Barolac?  (Read 9253 times)

Sklounion

Barolac?
« on: June 04, 2006, 09:12:00 PM »
Ok, so, this is a vase marked with an acid-etched label as Czechoslovakian. http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10018/normal_iNWALD_ls_.JPG
It has been seen, with Weil labels indicating that it is a Barolac pattern.
Me, i have a fair idea of initial production date, in both frosted and polished finishes.
Yet for me, design is post-war, and I have a feeling this is a Ludvika Smrckova design. Not necesarily a design for the Barolac range..... ideas?
regards,
Marcus

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Barolac?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 09:39:59 PM »
I'm sending you an email Marcus.   :)
I am not a man

Sklounion

Barolac?
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 05:55:10 AM »
Hi Max, and thank you.

If I read that pattern number correctly (853) then it would appear to be significantly later than the two well-known Barolac items on the right of the page. Cannot really assume too much as I notice that the numbers cited for the "Trees" vase is very different to its production number.

This item is 200mm high, and 160mm at its widest point. It does have the classic Inwald mirror-polished base, but no relief or impressed Barolac mark.

Stylistically, this pattern is very different, abstract as opposed to naturalistic. and a major departure from pre-war Barolac patterns. I am suggesting Smrckova, as she arrived as chief designer at Sklarny Inwald n.p. in 1948. This vase has a close affinity with a bowl dating to 1948, from Mstisov glass works, at that time part of Inwald, and also a heavy engraved zodiac bowl from Exbor, both designed by her.

There is a great deal of new information emerging on Barolac, and any interested glassie should have a look at recent editions of PK, at www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de

I should also say, that over-heavy reliance on importer's labels, may be causing confusion. If Weil and other importers labelling, mentioning Barolac was put on all imported items, then it is easy to see why some pieces appear now, attributed as belonging to the Barolac range.

Thanks again and regards,

Marcus

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Barolac?
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 07:15:03 AM »
I had seen this vase on eBay recently and had exactly the same thought process that you had, Marcus. Stylistically, it is nothing like the early Barolac (Jenkins & Inwald) designs at all. Nor was it amongst all the Jenkins blueprints that I studied.

It is, however, on a Weil catalogue page that Jo in Australia showed us here on the GMB last year. It’s a tiny pic, but amazingly it is still viewable. I believe that catalogue is called the Weil New York 'Barolac Sculpture Glass' (Bohemia Glass) catalogue. What I don’t know, is the date of the Weil catalogue. Do you? Does anyone else? Can anyone throw any light on the relationship that Inwald had with Weil? And when?
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,2674.0.html

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Barolac?
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 09:21:48 AM »
:D Glen, I had that page saved to my computer, I couldn't remember for the life of me where it came from!

It's what I sent Marcus via email.  :D Thanks again to Jo in Australia, that page has been very useful to me too.
I am not a man

Offline Jo in Australia

• Members
Barolac?
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 10:41:36 AM »
Hello All
For some reason I thought the catalogue was from the 1970s - but there's no date on the part I have.
 :roll:
o

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
Barolac?
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 10:50:19 AM »
Jo - thanks so much for that. Your "feeling" could well be right.

Max - yes, me too  :lol:

Marcus - what do you reckon to the time line?

Glen

Sklounion

Barolac?
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 11:23:06 AM »
Hi everyone, and thanks for the input.
The catalogue page is undated, so difficult to pin a date on Weil's importation. Clearly these pages are after 1948, and with the use of the Bohemia Glass motif, places this catalogue after the mid 1950's. Beyond that, we will need to know rather more about Weil's activities, or other Weil advertisments etc.
I personally would hesitate to classify this as Barolac, without some input from Petr Novy, so I'll be contacting him tomorrow, to see what information he has in Jablonec.
Regards,

Marcus

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
Barolac?
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 12:48:09 PM »
Marcus, although you rightly hesitate to classify the Weil items as Barolac, the tricky thing is.......Weil themselves certainly did.

I have seen a piece (from the USA) that was marked with two labels - one that reads Bohemia Crystal Made in Czechoslovakia - and one that reads Barolac Made in Czechoslovakia WEIL Exclusive Importation. (I think the item they were on was a frosted Pansies vase)

Does this help you to pinpoint the timeline any more beyond after the mid 1950s? I can confirm that John Jenkins were still using the Barolac name in 1951 (and possibly beyond).

I have tried to search for info on Weil but can find precious little. Can anyone else help?

Glen

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Barolac?
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 01:33:16 PM »
I have some Weil catalogues, they imported from many countries and also commissioned exclusive designs from many countries. Will have a look through when I can find them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand