No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Thanks  (Read 2998 times)

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
Thanks
« on: October 22, 2014, 06:59:48 AM »
I would like to thank the GMB committee for making this Malta glass main topic, cheers  :)
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Thanks
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 10:53:31 AM »
many thanks from me too. :-*
This was a surprise today. ;D
(and a big shock to my inbox!)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 11:29:32 AM »
Good idea - I think there are still some missing though...  ;D

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 02:35:09 PM »
Loads missing still, as I waded through several pages of search results and moved topics over last night before submitting to sleep. If you find others please feel free to flag them up using the Report to Moderator link in the topic, and use Move to Malta as the reason. This will help us get things moved over quicker, thanks! Have fun!  :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 02:54:57 PM »
I'll have a go at tracking some down. It makes me feel guilty having you do it, Anne - you have so many other (and important) things to do - such as catch up on the sleep you've already lost because of your dedication to keeping the board running smoothly.

Can I use "MtM" as shorthand for Move to Malta?

Are we going to include Isle of Wight Studio Glass and related makers (Guernsey, Kerry, Isle of Man) and the other IoW makers too - Alum Bay and Glory) in this forum, or should they stay in British?
(I hate having to make decisions!)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 05:26:12 PM »
As far as IoW and Channel Islands goes, my own view is that they belong in "British". The categorized forums are by country, not by actual maker or desinger.

By the way Sue, thanks for flagging up some threads. A couple are in Paperweights and I have already sent you an email about these - but am now repeating the basics here ...

... generally, all paperweights belong in the Paperweights forum, which is not split into country-specific categories. However, there are some old paperweight threads scattered around the Board that are not in the Paperweights forum.

I am suggesting we leave all the paperweight ones where they are.

KevinH

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 05:27:16 PM »
I would like to thank the GMB committee for making this Malta glass main topic, cheers  :)

Here, here. Putting Mdina topics in British and Irish was always a bit of an anomaly.

Are we going to include Isle of Wight Studio Glass and related makers (Guernsey, Kerry, Isle of Man) and the other IoW makers too - Alum Bay and Glory) in this forum, or should they stay in British?

Absolutely not! Well that is my vote anyway... ;D

John

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 06:13:26 PM »
My view is that the country of production should define a piece's "nationality"

In the case of Sam Herman, who was born in Mexico, but worked in USA, moved to the UK, then Australia, then back to the UK and is now a British national, glass made in USA would be American, glass made in Australia would be Australian and glass made in the UK would be British.

When a French vintner moves to South Africa, we classify the wine as South African....

Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 06:27:15 PM »
 ;)Well, just to nitpick, Gozo is not Malta, neither is Manoel Island, where Phoenician glass is made.
And Kerry Glass wouldn't techically come under British, it's in Eire.

I was only asking, not suggesting.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 07:25:58 PM »
Gozo and Manoel Island are part of the country of Malta, to be pedantic, and the British board is British and Irish, which encompasses the all British Isles, including Jersey and Guernsey

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand