No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Confused Butterfly & Berry Carnival Bowl?  (Read 4010 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Confused Butterfly & Berry Carnival Bowl?
« on: June 04, 2006, 10:41:48 PM »
Hi

This is just a small bowl, but I thought I’d the question anyway.

Butterfly & Berry by Fenton – 4.5” diam, 2.5” high in marigold.

The feet feel too short and stubby although they are the same ‘ball and claw’ as on the basic pattern.

I don’t understand the base where the twelve panels slope down to a circular rim 2.2” diam. It feels like it can’t make its mind up whether to have three feet or a circular base – the base does not touch surface, the feet do by about 4mm.

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 06:58:19 AM »
It's part of the magic and mystery of Carnival Glass.  It's been a talking point for years, on account of its apparently superflous feet/marie (depending on how you look at it). Quite a quirky little piece and absolutely genuine in that form.

Glen
Just releasedCarnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-booksthree volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 01:48:41 PM »
From the side view photo, I'd say this piece has "run down" a bit. This occurs when a piece is a little too hot when turned out or after warming-in and/or when the lehr is too hot. The result is that the feet splay out slightly or push upwards to create a slight bump that can be felt on the interior.

This was one of Frank L. Fenton's early designs. The rather large marie for a piece of this size was probably necessary to use existing snaps (aka "gadgets" in the UK) rather than make new ones. Later Fenton designs of some three-toed pieces have a much smaller marie.
James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 03:19:29 PM »
I can't see "Butterfly & Berry" in Butler Brothers catalogues until mid spring 1911, which is two and a half years after Fenton's first wholesale ad for their Carnival. Do you have any other information to place its introduction earlier than that, Dr. Measell?

It certainly was one of their latest running patterns. I can see it in Butler Brothers as late as April 1929.

It's interesting to note that a fully illustrated ad for Fenton's Carnival was shown in the British Pottery Gazette in 1923 - and one of the five pieces shown was the little footed berry bowl in the "Butterfly & Berry" pattern.

Glen
Just releasedCarnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-booksthree volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 06:21:36 PM »
I'm currently working on a chronology of Frank L. Fenton's work--from the decorations he likely did 1897-1904 for various employers to the designs for Fenton Art Glass Co. decorations and moulds 1905-1948. Thus, my use of the term "early" refers to his entire career, not just the Carnival glass era. In general, a Fenton line or novelty item makes its way into a Butler Brothers catalog several months after it was generally available. The exceptions are "exclusive" assortments just for Butler Brothers. I'll post when this project is complete ... probably near the end of 2006.
James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 02:47:05 AM »
Thank you both for the information on my little bowl.

James you are correct, there are bumps on the inner surface evidencing that the piece has 'run down' as you say - the legs are a little squashed and uneven.

I am interested in your 'Chronology of Frank L. Fenton's work' James, and will be pleased to see any research you wish to post on this board.

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand