No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: An interesting millefiori w8. ID = Chinese  (Read 6859 times)

Offline BobKegeles

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Caithness Paperweights
    • USA
    • Bubbles Baubles and Blown Glass
An interesting millefiori w8. ID = Chinese
« on: October 24, 2014, 07:48:12 PM »
I'm assuming this is mid-century Chinese, but it's an interesting piece.

The canes were left very very long, and arranged as a splay pattern, looking like an imploded flower.

The look is very common to fumed artisan marbles, but this piece is a full paperweight size, 3" wide, 2-1/2" high.

While I'm still very new to this wild world of glass, I haven't seen a piece using the canes in this fashion before. Certainly scrambled rods/canes are common enough, but the very long canes with the exposed distinct ends throw me a bit.

Am I right that it's clearly 50's or 60's Chinese?

Was this a common design, or somewhat unique?

Thanks for any feedback.

Bob
Bob Kegeles

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline SophieB

• Members
Re: An interesting millefiori w8
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 08:15:04 AM »
Hi Bob,

It is an interesting flower. Yes, it is 20th century Chinese. Whether it is 50s/60s or a little later, I do not know. I am sure Mr Tropdevin will enlighten us though.

SophieB

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: An interesting millefiori w8
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 12:19:19 PM »

Hi.  I have seen a few similar pieces, but they are not common.  I would think it dates to the 1950s - 1970s, but it is hard to be precise.  The canes look later than the typical 1930s / 1940s designs, but do not look like ones from the last 20 or 30 years....hence my suggested time period.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand