No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID Needed - Amber Glass, Scratches in Indent  (Read 3219 times)

Offline tecnogrrl

• Members
ID Needed - Amber Glass, Scratches in Indent
« on: June 03, 2006, 11:18:22 PM »
I picked these up at a garage sale (where else?)  Are they worth anything? What period, name, would you give them?

Also, the indented bubble I've id's that has comb like scratches through it, there are two of these indents that have this, the rest are clean

Thanks!!!

Jami in OREGON
ecnogrrl

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Connie

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 11:32:43 PM »
US Glass/Tiffin Bullseye, #15078 line aka Manhattan.  First made by US Glass in 1902 in the Glassport factory and known to collectors as Manhattan.

Then US Glass Factory R aka Tiffin remade the line and it was renamed Bullseye around the 1940s. * This is when the punch set, nappy, straw jar and cracker jar were offered. The punch set was available in Crystal and Crystal with Ruby Stain.  In the early 1950s, cake salver was made in crystal with ruby stain.  By the late 1950s the cake salver was available in 3 sizes - 8 in, 9 ¼ in., and 10 ¼ and was made in crystal and crystal with ruby stain.  

In 1961, the 10 ¼ in cake salver was available in Plum and Golden Banana.*

Your glass is made in Golden Banana and that color was introduced in 1961 as a cake salver.  So your glasses were made sometime after 1961.

Message edited to add more detail.  Edited material marked by *.  The information is from Tiffin Glass 1940-1980: Figurals, Paperweights, Pressed Ware by Ruth Hemminger, Ed Goshe, and Leslie Pina.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tecnogrrl

• Members
wow!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 11:34:28 PM »
wow!  Thanks Connie for the quick reply.

Any idea what they are worth?
ecnogrrl

Offline tecnogrrl

• Members
call it?
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 12:31:25 AM »
What would these be called? Vintage Yellow Tiffin Goblets?  I can't find anything about Goden Banana.....again, a price would be appreciated.

Grayhorse, LOVE your website!
Jami in OREGON
ecnogrrl

Connie

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 01:28:41 AM »
Thank you, Jami.

In an internet search, I found that Replacements Ltd has glasses similar to yours listed as having been made by Bartlett-Collins  :?

http://www.replacements.com/webquote/BTCMANA.htm

All the books I have indicate it is a US Glass pattern so I don't know where they got their attribution.

I haven't been able to find any for sale so I have no clue on the price.

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 08:20:47 AM »
I did a little digging on this pattern. In the book "Identifying Pattern Glass Reproductions" by Jenks, Luna, and Reilly, they state that in 1967 Bartlett-Collins Glass of Oklahoma issued ten items produced from new molds.
The keys to spotting them are, they are heavy and thick, the glass is shiny and slick and the design is poorly developed. The glass also has a distinctive waviness which you can see when held to a strong light. All items they produced were in clear with the exception of the goblet, which was done in amber as well. If I am reading it correctly the only reproductions done at Tiffin, were a basket in 1942 and then a 15 piece punch set in 1955. Hope this doesn't add to the confusion, Terry

Connie

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 08:49:18 AM »
Thank you for the additional information, Terry.  It looks like I was wrong and the glasses were made by Bartlett-Collins not Tiffin.

I edited by initial post to add additional information and the source (the same Tiffin book you don't have  :lol: )

I incorrectly assumed that after 1961 and the issuing of the cake salver in Purple and Golden Banana that Tiffin went on to make the pattern in other shapes but it looks like the cake salver was the only shape made in those colors.

Offline tecnogrrl

• Members
great!
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 11:48:06 PM »
Wow, you all are awesome.  I've been trying to learn more about glass, and this message board is the best resource I've found!

Jami in OREGON
ecnogrrl

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand