No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Fortnum and Mason low candlestick, by Thomas Webb?  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Fortnum and Mason low candlestick, by Thomas Webb?
« on: October 26, 2014, 08:30:35 AM »

Click either image to enlarge.

Direct link to GlassGallery set of images here, all, except the composite mark image, with click main image to enlarge feature.   My apologies for the poor composite image of the Fortnum and Mason mark which I found quite difficult to photograph.

I've found only two other references to Fortnum and Mason glass marks:
  • Dodsworth, BGbtW, 1987, item 347, a "Fruit or Lager Set" / "c.1935" / "Marked 'F. & M. MADE IN ENGLAND' " carries Roger's comment:  F. & M. refers to Fortnum and Mason, who commissioned special designs from several Stourbridge firms.   This set would have been made either by Stuart or Webb and Corbett.   Note that I've never seen stops after the F and M in this mark.   We know that BGbtW was produced in a rush, so these stops may be a minor uncorrected error, a conclusion reinforced by the unsatisfactory structure of the last sentence quoted.
  • Just to cloud the water a bit, these are also produced by English companies, for instance, I have seen them marked Stuart, England. I have also seen them with a Fortnum and Mason's acid etched mark - so who supplied them I wonder?
  • At first sight this candlestick was moulded with Thomas Webb's well-known pattern "Wave".   But it's not that simple.   Hajdamach I, p.433 records Webb's introduction of the Wave pattern in 1908, but his illustration clearly shows the well known four repeat pattern of Wave, not the three repeat (a different mould) used on this candlestick.  Fortunately GMB Member norman warbreck showed us a fine example of a three repeat pattern of Wave, complete with a 1935-49 Webb mark, here.   So I am confident that this candlestick was made by Thomas Webb, and probably was designed jointly.

I like it.   Why haven't I seen more examples?

Bernard C.  8)
    Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Bernard C

• Members
    • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
    Re: Fortnum and Mason low candlestick, by Thomas Webb?
    « Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 11:13:43 AM »
    See Janneau, Modern Glass, 1931, p.107 for a Thomas Webb wine goblet with a similar broad squared off foot, further reinforcing the Webb attribution.

Bernard C.  8)
    Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
    Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
    link to glass encyclopedia
    Visit the Online Glass Museum
    link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand