No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Notsjo FK wheel cut vases  (Read 3126 times)

Offline Level

• Members
Notsjo FK wheel cut vases
« on: November 07, 2014, 08:38:30 PM »
Can anyone confirm if Friedl Holzer-Kjellberg designed the wheel cut glass vases  signed Notsjoe FK ? here is a picture of one https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-kVVEIK-G7Fk/TzgQ-v5qwqI/AAAAAAAAAKw/8Ws2gSTFK54/s800/vase.jpg they show up on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kaj-Franck-Notsjo-034-aurora-borealis-034-vase-1960s-Mid-Century-Modern-/141463614763?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276 always attributed to Kaj Franck but I know someone told me that Friedl Holzer-Kjellberg did them but I can find no verification of this.

Offline essi

• Members
    • all eras of w/friars and scand
    • england
Re: Notsjo FK wheel cut vases
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 11:23:46 PM »
Hello level,if you look on the main glass enquiries section page 13 and about 12 items down "unusual nuutajarvi bowl" you may find some help there.

Offline Level

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 12:07:30 AM »
Ah interesting Essi thanks. I can definitely confirm that your vase is a Jaako Niemi design as I collect his stuff :) however my guess would be that someone other than the good folks at Nuutajarvi put that FK on.  I have, in the course of collecting for many years, seen an amazing variety of forged, faked scatched out and added to signatures on vases, and that one looks to be one of the later made ones that didn't have the designer name, just the nuutajarvi notsjo like this one, also a Niemi design http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Finland-NUUTAJARVI-NOTSJO-Scandinavian-Art-Modern-Glass-Bowl-/151464574032?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2343fdfc50

I had posted this question on the Design Lassi sight a few years ago and for some reason the reply wouldnt show up till i just now did a google search for it lol. heres a reply I received:

Nuutajärven tehtaan vuoden 1953 kuvastossa olevat ohuet kaiverretut maljat ja vaasit ovat Rista-sarjaa, mallien suunnittelijaksi mainitaan Kaj Franck.
Koristekaiverruksia esineissä oli runsaasti erilaisia, mm Kaj Franckin ja Hilkka-Liisa Aholan käsialaa.
Esineitä tehtiin runsaasti mm USA:n vientiin ja niiden signeerauksissa käytettiin erikoisempaa tapaa: Notsjoe FK, mikä tarkoitti Notsjö eli Nuutajärvi. Ja FK tarkoitti Kaj Franck (ei siis Friedl Kjellberg). Franck ei halunnut käyttää noissa esineissä omia nimikirjaimiaan KF, koska hänen mielestään hennot ja koristekaiverretut esineet olivat liian koristeellisia hänen pelkistettyyn makuunsa.
Esineitä myytiin ulkomaille paljon ja niitä näkee usein mm Ebayn huudoissa USA:ssa.

i can only do a somewhat suspect google translation but it gives the gist:

Iittala factory in the 1953 catalog of fine carved bowls and vases are Rista-series models of designer Kaj Franck is mentioned.
Decorative engravings of a great variety of articles, such as Kaj Franck, and Hilkka-Liisa Ahola's  handwriting.
Objects were plenty of such US exports and their signature, was used as an extra special way: Notsjoe FK, which meant Notsjö a Nuutajarvi. FK meant Kaj Franck (ie not Friedl Kjellberg). Franck did not want to use those articles in your own initials KF, because he felt delicate and koristekaiverretut objects were too fancy for his minimalist liking.
Objects were sold abroad a lot and they can often be seen for example Ebay screams of the United States.
the one I pictured is

In Nuutajärvi(Notsjö) cataloque 1953. Engraved and plain glass: Vase 125mm, number H 415
Name: "Lotus", no designer in cataloque.

Offline essi

• Members
    • all eras of w/friars and scand
    • england
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 08:10:21 PM »
Hello level,in the book the art of glass, kaj Franck 100 years there is a not very clear passage,
rista was mostly sold in the USA,as also a collection decorated by hilkka-liisa ahola that was developed in 1953.
it was agreed that Franck would design larger vases for the collection and aholas collection would be signed"H-L AHOLA"
and the rista collection with the initials fk.
the article mentions decorations by ahola and aholas collection but does not give us any names.
am not sure if this is of any help to you.
thanks for the comment on jaakko niemi item, I don't suppose you have a name for it?
all the best

Offline Level

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 08:59:50 PM »
sure that line is called Saturnus, I have the same piece with the full sig and dated 69. Here'sa picture of the small vase version http://www.designlasi.com/en/content/vase-jn-122-niemi-jaakko-en that sight has alot of good pictures of finnish glass

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand