No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Malta Decorative Glass bases and other identifcation.  (Read 2807 times)

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
Malta Decorative Glass bases and other identifcation.
« on: November 06, 2014, 08:25:38 PM »
From previous lollipop thread as there needs to be on a new thread on this subject.

I was not attempting to categorizes anything but simply trying assist in identification by the study of production techniques rather than the object itself, which is something I do a lot and often very successfully.

Back to my question, I do not have a lot of MDG pieces but all the ones I have do not have a highly polished base like you get with Mdina, they are buff and often with that 'Battuto' like finish.
Does anyone have a labelled MDG piece (of any type) with a highly polished base? or are they all buff and not very shiny?
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Malta Decorative Glass bases and other identifcation.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 08:34:39 PM »
Six battuto bases fairly shiny and one circular rough ground pontil mark

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 08:41:58 PM »
This may take some time.
I have a pwt with a flat polished base, not gouged. 
Another with a base simply flattened on the marver, then a maltese cross prunt (the kind with the v-shaped notch in the ends of the arms of the cross) has been shoved into the place it was broken off from the rod, to disguise the scar.
I've got a stoppered bottle with the prunt shoved onto the base as well, but not nearly so deeply and the rest is all just roughly made flat
I don't have pics of everything.

But even the polished, sort of flat, gouged ones are still quite shiney.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 08:46:56 PM »
Excellent work guys, thank you. Nothing highly polished as yet then.
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 12:43:09 PM »
If you mean by "highly polished", a completely flat, non-gouged, shiney base, I have two at least.

A pwt, as I said above here, and in the other thread; and I have just found a stoppered bottle with a completely flat polished base, apart from a deep half-moon shaped pontil scar indent in that.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 01:45:21 PM »
Just found another stoppered bottle with what was once a completely highly polished flat, non-gouged base, but with so much age-related wear it looks less shiney now.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 02:36:20 PM »
Just a quick question, does the post title refer to one maker or numerous as I have a piece of ' Creations Malta' and have yet to see another,
 ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 03:04:37 PM »
We have found labels which refer to Malta Decorative Glass, other labels have appeared on the same sort of glass, which have the same design of label, but with the word Craft substituted for Decorative;
So we know of a Malta Craft Glass and a Malta Decorative Glass, what we don't know is how they relate to each other, as they seem to make the same sort of glass, completely indistinguishable from each other.

There also appears to be glass of different sorts coming from these "origins" but with perhaps some importing going on, the dolphin white and blue or white and red vase things, standing on their tails, which have been found with Japanese labels on too. I've seen the odd papweweight with canes in - and I suspected the canes might have been imported, unless anybody know of canes having actually been made in Malta, anywhere?

Then the things such as the conch shells - they seem to be of a completely different sort of construction to anything else, and a load of small animal things I know absolutely nothing about and leave to those of you who do know something about them. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 06:04:39 PM »
Thought I'd post a picture of the base and label any way, ;D ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 06:09:48 PM »
That looks slightly related to Gozo, in terms of the appearance of the glass (what I can see of it) and in terms of design of the label.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand