No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hand cut cranberry to clear glass Comport for show. ID = Val St Lambert  (Read 2580 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
A cranberry cut to clear glass comport which looks to be hand cut.

I know trying to ID even the country this comport was made may be difficult let alone the maker although I am thinking Val St Lambert may be a possibility.

The only other comport of very similar shape to this was American Brilliant Cut glass but I feel this is most likely European. The cutting is very sharpe. Under a UV lamp the comport does glow very slightly green.

Height 9" or 23cm

Weight a very heavy 2185gm or 4lb 12oz

Comport cut from a 0.5" or 12mm blank.

Thanks for looking
Roy

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Re: Hand cut cranberry to clear glass Comport for show
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 09:46:50 PM »
A couple more pictures

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 10:40:00 AM »
Hello,

I had not spotted this one, hence the late reply, but I can confirm your footed bowl is done by VSL.
A while ago I came across this model in a book or catalogue, thinking I need to remember where I've seen it, and typically ... I can't remember  ::)

They were in production as from +/- 1910 but I don't know how long they kept  this model in production for.

If you search the net  in French - Val St Lambert coupe sur pied - you should come across some results of this model.

Just for info ... the little facets cut into the stem was called, or is still called rather, 'dentelle' which translates as lace work and can also be found on stemware and decanters.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 01:50:59 PM »
'dentelle' sounds a lot more attractive than notches, Anne  -  which is what these tiny cuts on the arrises are called in the States and U.K. - but then coupe sur pied sounds a lot better than goblet on foot :)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Re: Hand cut cranberry to clear glass Comport for show. ID = Val St Lambert
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 08:36:47 PM »
Hi Anne

Thanks for your reply and the confirmation that the comport is VSL. I can remember seeing a green one sell on ebay a year or so ago , but it did not confirm a maker. I still have the comport which I have decided to keep.

Thanks Roy

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
Re: Hand cut cranberry to clear glass Comport for show. ID = Val St Lambert
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 12:22:09 AM »
Thank you Paul, I didn't know that word for these little notches ... indeed, it doesn't sounds as poetic but perhaps in the past they were called different?
To take it up a notch ...  ::) .... I've got an example here that is catalogued as 'coupe sur talon'. Un talon is a high heel from a ladies shoe  :). How elegant does that sound?  I love the old expressions they used to describe things in the past.

You've done right hanging on to the bowl Roy, you would have difficulties selling it right now because of the period, style and colour. I can't generalize but here in Belgium it has to be Simon or art deco in period and/or style. The older, more traditional cut to clear pieces are not as much in demand unfortunately at the moment, which is a shame really because the early crystal has a different quality and clarity and the cutting is of a much higher standard, imo.

It's a nice piece, not too big and the weight of these pieces is  always surprising.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand