No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Two American Weights with Ceramic Figures+  (Read 1110 times)

Offline daveweight

• Members
Two American Weights with Ceramic Figures+
« on: November 09, 2014, 11:55:40 AM »
Hi All,
I am having a clear out to create much need space for new paperweights and, before they go, I thought I would post pictures of two American weights containing ceramic figures which are unusual and we don't often see these in the UK.
The first weight is a Fawn set inside an elongated bubble which is surrounded by a design of yellow leaves. This is a magnum of 3.5" diameter made by Joe Zimmerman of Corydon, Indiana and is signed with a letter Z impressed in the base. It is very similar to the hollow weights made by Perthshire but Joe's bubble weights precede these as, although he rarely dated any of his work, he opened his studio in 1963, some five years before Perthshire opened, and worked there until his untimely death in 1983.
The second weight is of Betsy Ross, an American folklore legend, as she sewed the first stars and stripes flag and it can be seen on her lap. This weight is 3" in diameter and height and was made by Joe Rice in Elwood, Indiana. The name Joe Rice and date of 1999 are impressed in the base.
These weights with ceramic figures were made by several American makers, other than these two, such as the St Clair family, Gibson, Gentile and Prestige Art Glass. I have several examples in my collection and they have a certain charm and novelty value.
Dave

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline daveweight

• Members
Re: Two American Weights with Ceramic Figures+
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 12:21:14 PM »
Just to help complete the picture, here are two more weights of ceramic figures. The boy with a sailboat is by Bob & Maude St Clair,  the Dalmation puppy is  by Gibson and the Teddy Bear by Prestige
Dave

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mildawg

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 01:03:59 PM »
I've always been attracted to the sulphide weights. So have these already Fiume there way out or do they need a new home?  Interested.

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 11:31:10 AM »
I have another dozen or more weights to sort out then I will out them on Ebay hopefully within the next week or two
Dave

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 03:25:25 PM »
Hi Mildawg
Sorry, should have said in my previous post if you require more info on these two paperweights please send me a PM
Dave

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand