No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Seguso vase perhaps?  (Read 4219 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Seguso vase perhaps?
« on: June 06, 2006, 02:40:11 PM »
I bought this little beauty.  It's small, but filled with aventurine and rather lovely.  No marks to base, which is ground and polished.  It is perhaps slightly more pinky than the photo shows.

It feels like Seguso to me, but I wondered about Barovier?  Not an expert in these things!  Thank you.  :D
I am not a man

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Seguso vase perhaps?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 04:13:23 PM »
Max!!!  I have one almost the same - mine is a very pale pink glass also althought the lines on mine are more horizontal but there are striking similarities between them both I think.  I bought mine a few months ago but decided to keep it so wasn't worried about the attribution particularly but it'd be interesting to find out - I thought it might be Seguso but as you know I know naff all about Murano.  I'll include a photo of mine here later for comparative purposes if you like?  Cheers, Pip

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Seguso vase perhaps?
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 04:59:14 PM »
Quote from: "Pip"
Max!!!  I have one almost the same - I thought it might be Seguso but as you know I know naff all about Murano.  I'll include a photo of mine here later for comparative purposes if you like?  Cheers, Pip

Cool!  Please go ahead, I'd like to see it.   :D
I am not a man

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Seguso vase perhaps?
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 09:52:49 AM »
Max, I couldn't find the bliddy thing and when I did I realised it's a completely different shape DOH (my memory is shocking!) anyway, apart from the shape the rest is very similar, I think our pieces are definitely related...

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/pips-trip/aventurine0001.jpg

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Seguso vase perhaps?
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 10:23:02 AM »
:lol: Oh, thanks for the photo!  Funny how your mind plays tricks after time, isn't it?  :lol:

There is a relation to Seguso with yours too, especially to Seguso shells, but I wonder if yours is more 'after Seguso', ie, in the style of?  I wish I knew more and be more constructive!  :oops:

We really need Javier to take a look, hopefully he'll be back on board soon!    :D
I am not a man

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Seguso vase perhaps?
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 12:36:30 PM »
my similar scallop was attributed some time ago as "probably Archimede Seguso" - same gold dust (not aventurine) inclusions.

Offline chuggy

• Members
Seguso vase perhaps?
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 01:46:18 PM »
OK lets make a stab at these, very difficult without actually seeing them, etc. Max, it could be Seguso. but most of his vases that I've seen in this style have more colour with the gold as the secondary colouring. Not ruling Seguso out, but could also be b y Barovier and Toso from the 1950's and they did some similar work.
Pip I just don't get a Seguso feel to the shell and think it's probably Barbini or Fratelli Toso, both of whom did this type of work with shell designs.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Seguso vase perhaps?
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 05:42:28 PM »
Mmm Paul, I know what you mean.  I did wonder about Barovier too.  I feel quite pleased that you thought so too.  :)  Maybe I'm getting better at this...a teeny bit perhaps.  8)

Thanks Ivo too.  Dang, I wish everyone would sign their bloomin' stuff - it'd make my life so much easier!

:roll:  :x
I am not a man

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Seguso vase perhaps?
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 06:28:49 PM »
Interesting - I'd have assumed that Max's and mine were from the same maker - just goes to prove that I know diddly-squat about Venetian glass (you, Max are a blimmin' showoff)!  Anyway, cheers Ivo and Paul (and Max for letting me hitch a ride on your thread).

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Seguso vase perhaps?
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2006, 07:15:35 AM »
Hello Pip,
Your shell is actually a Barovier & Toso piece.
I have 1 with the Barovier label, so its 100%!

Max, on your piece... does it look like an orange coloring?
I would guess Seguso, but might be from other makers too.
I know about Pip's just because I have the same with a label.
Sorry I cant be more specific on yours.
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand