No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Val Saint Lambert Vase - Sam Herman?  (Read 5954 times)

Offline marie anne

• Members
Val Saint Lambert Vase - Sam Herman?
« on: November 11, 2014, 05:39:48 PM »
I recently bought a Val Saint Lambert vase.  The design made me wonder if it was a Sam Herman.  The signature on the base just reads 'Studio Cristal Sept 97'.  Does anyone know if his Val Saint Lambert pieces were all signed, or whether I'm way off the mark here?
It's a big piece, just over 12 inches (31cm) high and weighing 1.6kg.
Thanks,
Marie.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Val Saint Lambert Vase - Sam Herman?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 06:15:14 PM »
They certainly were not all marked - I've got Sam Herman for VSL vase that is completely unmarked - but the design is known.
I don't know whether your vase is a known Sam Herman design or not. I do know Louis Le Loup worked there too, it might be by somebody equally as prestigeous as either of them.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline marie anne

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 06:47:54 PM »
Thanks Sue.  :)  I'll have a look at the other designers too and see if I can find the design.  Alternatively, I was reading that Sam Herman was a consultant for VSL in the 1990's so it could be a design by him, but not made by him.  I'll update the post if I can find the design/designer.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 07:00:27 PM »
 :)
This is my vase.
It's a bit watermarked and so I do use it, if I'm ever given dead vegetation and have to (diplomatically) shove it somewhere other than the bin.
It works really well as a holder of dead vegetation. There's a narrowing of the neck which holds the stems nicely, and the flared rim frames the "display" well, if you like that sort of thing.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline marie anne

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 07:27:50 PM »
Your vase looks great.  I love the shape.  I've just read in Peter Layton's 'Glass Art' book that Louis Leloup was at VSL until 1971 then set up on his own, so I think my vase is too late for him being 1997.  I've just been googling VSL designers.  It was the colours and date that made by wonder about Sam Herman (although the colour in yours is more delicate).  Still researching ....

Offline marie anne

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 07:30:38 PM »
A similar colour combination is in the vase in this link
http://www.millersantiquesguide.com/items/102382/blown-glass-vase-by-sam-herman/

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 07:33:31 PM »
 :o
scrumptious!
I only mentioned Louis LeLoup, because I know he used silver salts too, and he's the only other name I know of from VSL. I'm a bit ignorant about VSL.  :-[
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline marie anne

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 08:10:26 PM »
I didn't know who Louis Leloup was until I looked him up after your reply!  I always feel ignorant about most things glass, no matter what I learn the gaps in my knowledge always seem bigger.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 08:15:58 PM »
 :)
I didn't know who he was until I saw a piece of "Encrustation Noir" at a fair, then chatting with the seller, discovered he had worked with Sam at one point via VSL, and that was enough of an excuse to blow my fair budget and buy it.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 10:48:59 PM »
VSL Vases signed 'Studio Cristal' are  demonstration pieces, done during tours, visits etc...you won't find any reference or catalogues...

As far as I know Samuel Herman signed his pieces 'SJH'.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand