No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Val Saint Lambert Vase - Sam Herman?  (Read 5968 times)

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
Re: Val Saint Lambert Vase - Sam Herman?
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2015, 12:39:21 PM »
I just wanted to add to this post, as I've learned something recently about the 'Studio Cristal' at VSL, and as I mentioned before, these signed pieces are commonly regarded here in Belgium as  demo pieces, but I have to correct myself and also like to set the record straight, even though that might sound a little big headed... but the concept of the Studio is basically misunderstood and misinterpreted, and I'm happy to admit that in the past, I have done so too.

This is the result of several books, info online and having had discussions about the Studio Cristal, after recently having bought a vase myself, signed 'Studio Cristal - A. Collard', that was added to the main catalogue in the 90ies, and it puzzled me why my vase was catalogued, but anyway, that's beside the point for now. Funnily enough, even though it's quite recent there's not a lot of info that can be found.

Again, these signed pieces are generally regarded as demonstration or second choice pieces, but behind the concept a lot more was hidden ... a theory and a philosophy where art, design and creation were bullet points.

The Studio Cristal at VSL was inspired by the British Studio Crystal movement from the 70ies, and, with the intention to renew their image and do something different from the usual production to attract a new public/market, VSL opens their Studio in 1989, a platform for artistic and creative experiments. The newly installed director at VSL in 1987, brings a new strategy with Art and Design as keywords, to develop a new line in collaboration with renowned, international artists, to diverse and enlarge  selling points, including art galleries.

The Studio was open especially to foreign artists and designers, ie Borek Sipek, Yan Zoritchak, Phillip Starck and Martin Szekely, together with artists from VSL such as 'Maitre-Verrier' Alfred Collard, to share and discover knowledge, skills and techniques, to create new projects and designs. The Studio was at the same time open to the  public, and if visitors saw what they liked, they could buy the pieces on the spot. Basically, it wasn't the case where the artists were working and demonstrating their art for the visiting public, but it was a studio, where the public could see them at work, which gives it, to me, a whole new and different meaning.

Successful designs and creations therefor were integrated in the main catalogue, under a new heading 'Art & Design'.

The Studio closed in 1999 due the crisis, to be followed by one of the bankruptcies in 2002, to be reopened several years later.

Having gathered this info together i have to admit that i look differently at these pieces now, and i'm really happy to have understood the whole idea. As these pieces also show up abroad, I thought it right to share this info with you.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2015, 01:11:01 PM »
Thank-you Anne, very interesting and informative.
I've just been thinking I ought to show you these two VSL related bits I have - but you've found them yourself. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2015, 01:43:11 PM »
Thank you Sue, I don't know what end where you found your info, but I'm always interested. My 'résumé' comes from several books, written in French, and a couple of articles online, also in French.

Your info is in English? If so, it might have something in it,  I haven't got.... 8)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2015, 03:14:23 PM »
My "info" is just what I've picked up, chatting to dealers at fairs. Certainly, the chap I bought the Louis le Loup from knew his stuff, I trust him and his opinions implicitly. (Alastair MacIntyre).

I only needed a tenuous link between somebody associated with the RCA (Sam Herman) and LLL in order to satisfy my rules about buying something.
Having seen the Encrustation Noir, I was going to find some link - even if I had to go back to prehistoric times to find one. ::)

The other vase I found in Portobello Road, on a stand selling ceramic pot lids and lead soldiers. I had just been to a fair, and had seen this decor on a Sam Herman bowl there, and I recognised the shape as being VSL, from having trawled Sam's works online.
I was busy studying the price tag, checking that it really did read £15, (not £150, with a faint stroke missing) when the dealer said; " I'll take £12."

I've always admired VSL, I have ventured bravely into an OTT antiques shop in London to see some monumental cut and coloured stuff - the kind of place you have to ring the doorbell to get in, you can't breathe for the smell of the female assistant's make-up and they all look down their noses at you. ;D
But that's about the limit of my VSL experience.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2015, 03:47:31 PM »
Sorry, I misunderstood, when you mentioned 'bits', I thought you meant articles.

Yes I know what you mean with certain antiques shops and their staff... but it's nice to see or perhaps even handle certain items that are rare or out of price range or both .. I have learned a lot from that ... and I don't worry to much of what the shop assistant thinks of me ...

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2015, 04:37:02 PM »
No, I meant "bits of glass".  :-[
Sorry for raising false hopes, Anne. I just wanted to show you my two bits of VSL-related glass.
I don't think my LLL is VSL, it's dated '99.

If I ever do come across anything, I will let you know.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2015, 05:04:36 PM »
Oh no problem and thank you for the offer.

I'm sure you did some searching yourself on your VSL and LL pieces, and yes, i'd love to see them. Leloup joined VSL in 1947 and started working for VSL under Charles Graffart and René Delvenne. He worked with Herman in 1960, there are pieces for instance, from the Eldorado series, designed by Herman,  with signatures SJH, SJH/LL and just LL for VSL. Leloup continued the series by himself after Herman left and left VSL himself in February 1972 but stayed in the small town of Searing to work under his own name.

So no, your Leloup isn't done for VSL but for himself, which isn't any better or worse really, he's always stayed close to VSL and is very well respected in his own right. From what I've read, he and Herman helped setting up the Studio Cristal project for VSL, I believe he still has his workshop in Searing and is working on his museum in Bruxelles, but I have no idea when this is to be opened... I'll ask around if you like...

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2015, 05:15:51 PM »
At the time I bought it, I heard of a museum in Japan, dedicated to Louis le Loup.
There are pics in this thread, but I really ought to take some better ones.
My collecting interest is early british (and a little european and american) Studio Glass, so LLL going off on his own, fits that nicely.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2015, 05:32:06 PM »
Oh yes of course... apologies again. :-[

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2015, 06:30:05 PM »
 :)
They are both rotten pics. I do need to take new ones, for you to see them properly.
I need to remove all the background garbage!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand