No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars general question help please.  (Read 955 times)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Whitefriars general question help please.
« on: November 18, 2014, 09:32:21 PM »
Hello there i have come across a fair amount of Whitefriars and my question has two parts. The first part is, i see this over and over again, tiny chips to the rims they looked like cutting fractures not damage, i do not want to offend any Whitefriars collectors but my guess is they were mass made and sold in the likes of Woolies so would this be a normal rim Finish or damage?. The second is would these have been seconds if the chips were normal ?.

Regards Chris.
Chris Parry

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Re: Whitefriars general question help please.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 10:06:07 PM »
See a lot of less than perfect rim finishes on these cold worked pieces  don't think it's anything to do with them being mass produced for firms like Woolies they were produced by a well respected glasshouse who sold to who ever wanted them including the top end retailers. A fire polished rim is a little more time consuming but a lot stronger than a cold ground rim. So probably a bit of both concerning the little nibbles

Offline user9318

• Members
Re: Whitefriars general question help please.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 07:21:23 AM »
Funny enough I got my hands on three coffin vases last week, each one had small and tiny rim chips and nibbles.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand