No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: help with maker id on vaseline glass sherry glasses. ID = Libbey, Vesta pattern  (Read 3518 times)

Offline twiggy2151

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • vaseline glass, uranium glass
    • usa
Hi all, yesterday I purchased 4 I believe they are called sherry glasses from a second hand shop, I asked the lady how much she would take for them and she told me 10 bucks, I collect uranium and vaseline glass and that is what these little glasses are.  I took them home and have spent hours searching for them on the internet, so far I have come up empty handed on who the maker is...so here I am hoping you can maybe help me out...they have silver trim on the rim and foot and the stem has a cut glass pattern to it, very pretty, I have searched through thousands of glasses online and can't even find anything that comes close, I am thinking maybe Tiffin?  thanks for taking a look!!  I appreciate the help :)
IMG_3222 by twiggy2151, on Flickr
IMG_3220 by twiggy2151, on Flickr
IMG_3218 by twiggy2151, on Flickr
IMG_3217 by twiggy2151, on Flickr

Offline twiggy2151

• Members
    • usa
Re: help with maker id on vaseline glass sherry glasses
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 04:36:37 PM »
would anybody happen to know where a good starting point would be for research on these?  thanks!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 04:51:38 PM »
hi, welcome to the board.  :)
I'm afraid I know nothing about Tiffin - I presume that's an American company?
Glasses can be very difficult to ascribe to a maker (unless they're marked) and they were (obviously) made in all sorts of places for long periods of time.
However, we do have American glass experts here - they just don't pop in every day, you may have to be patient until the right person comes along and sees them. :)

I'm afraid I can't make out much detail from your pics, sadly. They don't enlarge very much and there is a lot of stuff going on in the background, it is better to take pics against a plain white or black background - a sheet of A4 would do.
There is a whole load of techie info here about posting images directly to the board (clicking on your images took me somewhere else I wasn't sure about, so I hastily undid it, I'm suspicious of sites I'm not familiar with, and I'm not very techie myself.)

Hope you get some more useful help soon.  :)

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/board,22.0.html
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 05:28:28 PM »
would anybody happen to know where a good starting point would be for research on these?  thanks!

You may be able to find information on the U.S. chatabout depression glass board that specializes in U.S. glass including stemware:

http://chataboutdg.com/forums/

Offline twiggy2151

• Members
    • usa
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 05:37:52 PM »
okay, thank you very much for the advice...there is no mark whatsoever on these...I am not sure they are tiffin, but in my searches some of the shapes of their glasses looked similar, I will take better photo's and repost them....ohio..thanks a million for the link!  I am going to go and check it out, I have not had much luck finding many glass related forums or message boards!  thanks again for the responses!!   :) :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 05:44:48 PM »
Thanks for the offer of some better images - I know it's a pain to have to do them again.  ::)
I can't make out what the stems are truly like - they might have features that help recognition.

What does the underside of the base look like?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline twiggy2151

• Members
    • usa
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 05:45:17 PM »
the site I have my pics on is safe...it is a photo hosting site,  I am a member of another message board and that is how we post pictures...that way we don't have to crop them down to attach them....no worries  ;)  thanks again!!

Offline twiggy2151

• Members
    • usa
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 05:47:29 PM »
the underside of the bases are plain, and I am not seeing any signs of wear, but I don't imagine these were used everyday..and the stem had a I want to call it a pineapple pattern to it...it has a really nice feel in your hands

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 05:58:48 PM »
 :)
We really like having the images posted directly here - that way, the thread with the identification will remain in the records for posterity - with the correct images illustrating it, for our records.
Images hosted elsewhere have a nasty habit of vanishing.

When I asked about the base, I was wondering if there was a pontil scar, or a polished mark where one would have been, or of there is evidence of moulding. A "blank" bottom on a bit of glass can tell us a lot from the sort of "nothing" there.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline twiggy2151

• Members
    • usa
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 06:05:05 PM »
okay, I will look into attaching photo's...that makes sense about them disappearing...I have been to several message boards where people have deleted them off of their photo hosting account.....I just took more photo's against a white background...I took a pic of the bottom of the base but I am not sure if they will show much...they are nice and smooth and I see no marks on them.....I don't see any molding marks anywhere on these glasses...but i could be wrong....maybe they were molded...but i don't get that feel off of them..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand