No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: help with maker id on vaseline glass sherry glasses. ID = Libbey, Vesta pattern  (Read 3496 times)

Offline twiggy2151

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • vaseline glass, uranium glass
    • usa
Re: help with maker id on vaseline glass sherry glasses
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 06:43:07 PM »
ok..lets try this again lol...here are hopefully some better photo's...if I am missing anything let me know...I have never photographed glass for help with identification :)

Offline twiggy2151

• Members
    • usa
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 06:43:48 PM »
 :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 07:32:19 PM »
 ;D

Much, much better, thank-you!

Nothing compares to being able to cop a good feel of a bit of glass!
We have to make do with pics, but we do have a few tricks to bring things out, sometimes ;)
I would suspect the stems are moulded, but the base does look hand made.

Taking an image of the base at a slight angle, allowing the reflections of the light hitting it to highlight anything, allows us to see any ripples or other signs of how it was made.
Is there a clear, round polished indent in the middle of the base? From straight on, it looks as if there might be.
That would indicate that it was being added by hand, when the hot glass is broken off the pontil rod, it leaves a scar, this is often removed by grinding and polishing out a round concave section where it was- the pontil mark.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline twiggy2151

• Members
    • usa
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 09:16:41 PM »
lol...that is what really sold me on these....the stems did feel real nice in the hand....there is a round smooth bulge in the center where the stem is attached, no indented though...it's kinda like an outy belly button as opposed to an inny..here are some pics of the base at an angle...they were tough to get lol...hopefully they will do...is there a way to tell if the stem was molded? thanks again! 

Offline twiggy2151

• Members
    • usa
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 09:17:40 PM »
 :)

Offline twiggy2151

• Members
    • usa
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2014, 09:23:01 PM »
they also have a nice ring to them when you tap them with you nail...not sure if that helps or not but thought i may add it

Offline twiggy2151

• Members
    • usa
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 11:07:36 PM »
I would like to thank Ohio for the link to the other message board, they were able to tell me about my sherry glasses, they are Libbey and the pattern is Vesta, they provided me with a link to Libby glass and i was able to find them listed in a 1932 catalog  http://www.libbeyhistory.com/images/1932_Page_09.jpg , I still cannot find anything online about them or the series, but at least I am now headed in the right direction....a big plus is I live 20 minutes from Libbey glass in Toledo Ohio, so I am thinking i can bring one of the glasses to them and they may be able to give me a little insight on them....also thank you chopin for some insight on how to take correct pictures of glass if I need help identifying something!!

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2014, 07:26:53 AM »
That is good, though I suspect you have all the insight you will get: the date and the line number, which you can work out from the size.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand