No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID Help Please - Large Paperweight. ID = Glasshouse Studio, Seattle  (Read 5657 times)

Offline dorian_graye

• Members
Hello to all.  I don't collect paperweights and I rarely come across any when shopping, but this one struck me as something special.  It looks like a complicated piece, but is only marked with a roman numeral "II" on the base.  Has anyone come across a mark or paperweight like this?  Thank you.  Measures 4 3/4" wide and 3 3/4" in height.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: ID Help Please - Large Paperweight
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 06:58:06 PM »
No idea of the maker, sorry, (possibly American?) but often the presence of II in Roman numerals signifies that a piece is a "second" (often for no obvious reason, it can be a very minor flaw) and would be why the maker's mark is missing.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline BobKegeles

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Caithness Paperweights
    • USA
    • Bubbles Baubles and Blown Glass
Re: ID Help Please - Large Paperweight
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 11:54:24 PM »
I'm going to say Seattle Glasshouse in Seattle Washington. Circa 1990's.

I've sold several like it, but in their more common color pallet of reds/purples.

The giveaway is the thin stringers crossing the center design, as well as the "sheets" of glass interior.

I agree the II means second, I've had several that were marked that way.

Here's the listing of the most recent one I sold. # 281517242955

And here's a listing that another seller has currently that has the same "stringers" # 371219176645

Bob Kegeles

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand