No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Small Rose Bowl - Age and Origin?  (Read 1059 times)

Offline MatW

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Greece
Small Rose Bowl - Age and Origin?
« on: December 11, 2014, 01:12:09 PM »
Hi, this is  another recent find of mine. It is a small rose bowl I think? It is 8 cm high and it is not totally round, but ribbed where the stem of the flowers is painted. The bottom is polished and has a lot of wear. I think it is made of lead glass. Has anyone an idea when and where this could have been made?
Thank you very much,
Mat

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Small Rose Bowl - Age and Origin?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 11:38:27 PM »
hi Mat  -    Some suggestions which may be of interest.

Believe the cornflower has some symbolic meaning in German/Bohemian culture.       You may be correct that this is a posy/rose bowl - many modern rose bowls incorporate a wire stem support, but looking at the size of this one don't think it would accommodate many blooms.      Perhaps yours is just a posy vase.
The shape might be 'optically moulded'  -  presumably the ribs are on the outside only.

In places the rim appears to have what looks like the remains of some gilded (gold) decoration, and overall this type of enamelled decoration on clear glass would probably suggest a date of c. 1900, from what would then have be Bohemia.

Unfortunately, the pictures alone don't suggest lead glass - perhaps you have flicked the bowl and it rings??

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline MatW

• Members
    • Greece
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 10:45:54 AM »
Thank you Paul! Yes, I have flicked it and it has a ring, not as nice as with thinner lead glass, but also not as dull as it is usually with non-lead glass, so I am not sure what the material is. Maybe it is safer to assume that it is not lead-glass... The ribs can be felt on the inside also. You are right, the cornflower was regarded in Germany as the "Prussian flower", it was the favourite flower of the king of Prussia and later Emperor Wilhelm I. and  in memory of his childhood. However, in the romantic movement in Germany the "blaue Blume", the "blue flower", was also a central symbol. So maybe it could be German in the end? There are some German makers that also used these vivid enamel colours, like Theresienthal?
Mat

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 11:06:46 AM »
Rose bowls of 5-8 cm height are considered miniatures. The style of enameling is attributed to Moser circa 1910-1930, dixit Johanna Billings in her "collectible glass rose bowls" - FWIW.  Maybe Moser can confirm this. The material would be either lead crystal or - more likely -  semi crystal. 

Offline MatW

• Members
    • Greece
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 02:16:02 PM »
Thank you Ivo for this information! I will write to Moser and ask them!
Mat

Offline MatW

• Members
    • Greece
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 11:53:13 AM »
Today I got an answer from Moser, their historian searched their archives and could not find anything similar, so they could not  confirm that attribution! I have to search on...
Mat

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand