No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help Please - Large bowl ID needed. ID = Walther "Libelle" pattrern  (Read 7134 times)

Offline auliya

• Members
I am hoping someone can help with identifying this bowl. It is similar to Walther's Luxor pattern, but clearly not the same. It measures 10 inches in diameter and 2.75 inches high - it has no markings. Thanks in advance for any ideas
cheers
Auliya

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Re: Help Please - Large bowl ID needed
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 05:53:27 AM »
Auliya, this certainly is Walther's dragon-fly  LIBELLE
 :)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline auliya

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 08:29:46 AM »
Thank you SO much Pamela, I had searched high and low but missed that :-) Very happy about that as I wanted to put a Walther figure and frog with it :-)
regards
Auliya

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 09:48:10 AM »
Splendid idea, will you show it here, please ?  :-*
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline JohnM

• Members
  • Newcomer
    • 20th C, Deco, Modern
    • UK
Re: Help Please - Large bowl ID needed. ID = Walther "Libelle" pattrern
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 11:00:10 AM »
Can anyone tell me the difference between "Luxor" and "Libelle" ?

The "Libelle" pattern for the bowls shown in the 1937 Walther catalogue seems to match the photo for "Luxor" shown in Pamela's website. I have bowls at all 3 sizes given for "Libelle" in the catalogue. They too seem to match the "Luxor" photo. There is some reference to "Libelle" in the text accompanying Pamela's "Luxor" photo but I don't understand it.
John

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 11:41:12 AM »
I think it's the patterning. Libelle looks sort of scribbly and Luxor looks like lines

Offline JohnM

• Members
  • Newcomer
    • 20th C, Deco, Modern
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 06:18:17 PM »
Thank you Christine.
John

Offline theElench

• Members
    • Art Deco
    • England
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 08:12:48 PM »
I've been wondering for some time about the similarities between Luxor and Libelle.  Pamelas Luxor vase has a smaller, lower base and is quite slim, with a flat rim.  The vase I bought as Luxor has a larger base, is more bulbous and has a crenelated rim.

Pamelas Luxor bowl also appears to have a flat rim but the Libelle bowl has a crenelated rim.

I also have another bowl that I haven't been able to identify.  The base and patterning are identical to the vase and both have the same patterning as on the bowl.  Again the rim is crenelated, although flattened.

Could it perhaps be that the pieces I have are all Libelle rather than Luxor?  That Luxor had flat rims while Libelle was crenelated?

Offline theElench

• Members
    • Art Deco
    • England
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 08:27:13 AM »
To add to the above.

Does anyone know if the two patterns were in production at the same time?  Is it possible that the Luxor was remodelled and re-issued as the Libelle?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 12:09:42 PM »
It's the patterning. Libelle is a fine pattern if you look at Auliya's bowl. Luxor is a much coarser irregular web

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand