No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help Please - Large bowl ID needed. ID = Walther "Libelle" pattrern  (Read 7131 times)

Offline theElench

• Members
    • Art Deco
    • England
Re: Help Please - Large bowl ID needed. ID = Walther "Libelle" pattrern
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 09:03:53 AM »
Thank-you for that info. it's sometimes not so easy to be sure when looking at photos and never having seen the thing "in the flesh".  I can see it's different but I've never seen an actual piece of Libelle to compare the two.

Can you confirm that my piece with the flattened rim is another variant of the vase please?  I couldn't find it in the catalogues, or anywhere else that I've looked.  I'm not even sure if it's meant to be a vase or not although the base diameter is the same.  For some reason the inside "floor" is distinctly domed rather than flat as in the vase.

To me it doesn't look like it would work very well as either a flower vase or a bowl.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 09:37:01 AM »
I can't see why its not Luxor. The catalogues we have available are limited and ranges were frequently wide. The vase looks like it should have a flower holder inset. Look round the inside and see if there is a line of scratching somehwere towards the top

Offline theElench

• Members
    • Art Deco
    • England
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 09:46:32 AM »
Thankyou again.  With a close look, there is a feint broken line of scuff marks around where the "swags" meet the patterning.  A bit of experimenting with some trinket pot lids and I found that the 11cm Greta lid will sit there quite well.

Offline JohnM

• Members
  • Newcomer
    • 20th C, Deco, Modern
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 10:41:14 PM »
To add to the above.

Does anyone know if the two patterns were in production at the same time?  Is it possible that the Luxor was remodelled and re-issued as the Libelle?

As far as I can tell the "Luxor" pattern is first described in the 1934 catalogue which can be accessed via the press-glas-korrespondenz site :

https://www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de/aktuelles/pdf/pk-2001-3-4-mb-walther-1934.pdf

Scroll to Page (Seite) 11, Panel (Tafel) 25. Magnification is limited but the pattern and its name are clear. The "Libelle" pattern can be found in the 1935 catalogue :

https://www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de/aktuelles/pdf/pk-2002-3-1-mb-walther-1935.pdf

Scroll to Page 15 [Mod: Page 13, I believe], Panel 130. There is no "Libelle" vase and the "Luxor" vase is shown on Page 10, Panel 117a. In my view both the Luxor and Libelle bowls are crenellated. But the Luxor vase (as shown in the catalogues, and in the picture on Pamela's website) is not. It's difficult to see the difference in the small scale patterning in the two bowls. However the Libelle bowl has four plain glass strips, spaced at 90 degrees, which run from the top rim of the bowl to the foot rim. These are absent in the Luxor bowl.

I'm not sure about the crenellated vase shown in this thread.
John

Offline theElench

• Members
    • Art Deco
    • England
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2018, 10:39:46 AM »
Now you point them out, I can see the plain glass strips on "Libelle".

It's all very confusing!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand