No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Suite names (or should that be "Sweet names"  (Read 955 times)

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
Suite names (or should that be "Sweet names"
« on: December 15, 2014, 04:58:03 PM »
I have always been fascinated by the names chosen for a new suite of glassware. Often they are architectural "Chatsworth" "Woburn",   historical "Howard", "Rockingham"and "Raleigh" and sometimes ladies names.
At our factory we have "Faye" named after an important customer Faye Peck of Watford Glass, "Ruth"a good female Jewish name, Melissa ( my sister), Samantha (my wife), and " Loretta ", based on an early girlfriend called "Lorena".......

Now Dartington Glass have "Sharon", "Rachel" "Lily"  "Victoria""Eve"  "Inga",,,,,
Now we know two facts .
First that Frank's beautiful Swedish wife was called "Inga" and his charming daughters are called "Eve" and  "Sharon".
We also know Frank had a reputation for his popularity with the female fans , second only to George Best, and while not so good at football, he was probably more macho !

So I wonder if anyone can throw light on who were or are, Lily, Rachel, and Victoria, ( described in the blub as "a bit on the sideboard"- they did love their puns, the old Dartington crew), Agatha, Rebecca, Grace, Olivia, Cleo, and Sarah?
Were they dreamt-up names or from the Frank Thrower Little Black book?

Or perhaps even local girls who worked or lived nearby and may have even married some of the Swedish glass blowers who started the factory?

I shall lead others to remark the similarities between a nice full glass of wine
(with thanks to Mark Hill's book "Frank Thrower and Dartington, and my personal memories of Frank, an unforgettable and charismatic glass designer. Also, I am reminded of Louis Bega's song "A little bit of Monica..."!)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: Suite names (or should that be "Sweet names"
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 05:44:54 PM »
With regard to Frank Thrower's naming of glassware, then there is also:

Hi-ya Cynthia (hyacinth vase)
Oakey-dokey (acorn vase)

As you say, they did love their puns at Dartington!  ;D

Can't help with your question, though...
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 08:51:44 PM »
I found some Dartington wineglasses recently, in a design I did not recognise. I have been referring to them as my "Traceys", because they're not Sharons.  ;D

I've been told they're specifically for Mateus Rose.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 04:43:17 PM »
The nearest I can find to this shape is a little known suite called "Portia" that has a kick-out rim. these were done purely for style as they tended to chip quite easily.These lack the usual elegance
of Frank's designs

They remind of a pair of wine Goblets (368 & 369)we designed for a City wine merchant now defunct called "Greens" in the Royal Exchange London  ran by two well known characters, Miles Maskell was one.
I thinks the restaurant Greens Restaurant & Oyster Bar was connected and is now at 36 Duke Street off Jermyn Street.
I managed to get a top page 3 model called Gillian D.  to pose for me holding this shapely glass, which echoed the shape of her profile- ( shades of Kim Khardashian!) but I wonder whether it would be censored by the editor of this august website?
I refrained from naming the suite Gillian but it will always hold an association in my mind.......

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 05:06:01 PM »
I think there is something "not quite elegant" about these glasses too.  ;D
There's something odd about the thickness of the thing where the stem meets the body, the upsweeping lines are not right and they're over a sort of lumpiness.
It just does not work.
"page 3" is just so passe, these days, I'm afraid. It doesn't belong anywhere any more.  ;)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand