No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Splendid striped decanter and glasses  (Read 4117 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Splendid striped decanter and glasses
« on: June 05, 2006, 09:31:09 PM »
Okay, I really like this, not just because it's got stripes, I just think it's absolutely stunning. So probably not everyone's taste. My parents don't look at it in the same way I do.  :lol:

Anyway, the decanter is 7.50 inches high. It is nicely cut and polished on the rim. The glasses have also been polished on the rim.

You stunna!

Perhaps it could be Belgium? Any comments welcome.  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 06:41:57 AM »
Nice one, Tiga. Belgium is a very good guess, Laeken crystal is the one you'd be looking for.  The however is that similar decoration was used by a decorator firm called the Podbira brothers in Novy Bor. Both firms decorated outside blanks and have so far stayed out of the limelight: very little is known about them.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 06:21:33 PM »
Lipper & Mann creations, Bohemia glass?

After googling I found that Lipper & Mann are Japanese. The sticker is found on pottery as well as glass.

So Bohemia glass is an importer/exporter label and Lipper & Mann is the name of the importer/exporter?
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 07:29:48 PM »
"Creations" = marketing speak
Yes importers but not Japanese, American

Lipper & Mann
Lipper International http://www.lipperinternational.com/AboutUs/history.asp
Pete

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 08:54:16 PM »
Just thought I'd show this little stripey beauty. It's in the palest amber uranium glass. The dinky little glasses are just 4 cm tall by 4.5 cm wide. For schnapps or something similar I presume. Click to enlarge, please excuse camera shake!
:oops:

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 10:08:20 PM »
Wow, there's a lovely Art Deco shape to that.  8)

I also like the Binini style figure inside it too.  :wink:

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 03:05:02 AM »
Hi Tiger

Lovely set

I have been looking through my 'Novy Bor und Umgebung' book and Ivo is right 'Podbira Bruder' of Haida 1885 - 1940s made sets like these.

I should also like to mention 'Rasche Adolf' of Haida 1910 - 1940s there is a picture in my book of a set very like yours by this company which were noticeably prolific exporters of such wares up until the 1940s.

Just a suggestion company wise - but to me it has something of the Bohemian art deco about it.

Thanks

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 08:59:21 PM »
Thanks, that gives me a good start on my search for this item, still searching... Searchin everywere, I'm like that North West Mountie, you'll know i'll find it some day.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand