No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness neodymium/alexandrite cut vase.  (Read 4836 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Caithness neodymium/alexandrite cut vase.
« on: December 21, 2014, 05:09:22 PM »
Very attractive and the two pix show the colour change from bright lavender in daylight and incandescent light, to steely blue under fluorescent (tube) lighting.
If you go to David's  glassyEye.com  page and run down to dichroic glass  -  you should get some info plus David's link to the very informative site from Judith Van Buskirk-Gugudan.

Caithness offered these cut floral vases, designed in 1987, at the time of their acquisition of the King's Lynn Crystal factory, and according to Mark Hill's book (Caithness Glass - Loch, Heather & Peat) aspects of design came from both factories  -  they also did a clear cased blue.         The book shows a cut vase from this range (page 98), in neodymium, but different shape, which he refers to as 'lavender', but no mention in his book that I can find of dichroic glass  -  believe they did p/w's in neodymium.
Can't see lavender in the colour swatches in Mark Hill's book, so not sure how the factory referred to this colour. perhaps is was their heather  -  anyone know how commonly or otherwise neodymium was from Caithness?
Height is about 8" (205 mm).

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Caithness neodymium/alexandrite cut vase.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 05:59:36 PM »
Caithness use a lot of Neodynium glass, it's used in tons of weights and wee posy vases and these bigger ones.
They did not use Heather to describe the colour, Caithness Heather is a deep purple colour.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 06:40:09 PM »
There you go Paul:
http://glassyeye.com/glasstopics/dichroic.html   (one day I'll finish the site  ::) )

And Judith's excellent article:
http://www.mindspring.com/~reyne/neowhatsis.html

I do have two cut pieces of Caithness Neodymium, both from the Elegance range. The optimistically named "Hyacinth Vase" (15cm, 7895) is featured in PC's book, The Curious History of the Bulb Vase, p.162 - I also have the "Tall Slim Teardrop Vase" (31.5cm tall, 7893). The latter is very unstable and needs Museum Gel!

Still looking for the others...
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 06:52:51 PM »
big thanks to both of you - especially David for adding the proper links. :)

Scottish not my area really, and I was hoping it might have been a little rarer but no matter, it's a lovely piece - at least until it's under the strip lighting.
Would agree that Judith's article is so informative and interesting.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 07:08:49 PM »
I prefer the subtle blue grey under strip lighting to the pale lilac in daylight. Mostly I just avoid it completely.
What is it (exactly) you're looking for David? Caithness neodynium is not exactly scarce in charity shops around here... ::)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 10:47:21 PM »
I'm looking for pieces from the Caithness Elegance range - there are 10 in all. Produced from 1999. Attached is the catalogue page (courtesy Hilary Green, Dartington Crystal) showing the entire range. The Caledonia range is interesting as it's a little similar to your vase, Paul.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 10:20:32 AM »
I'll keep my eyes open, David.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 10:45:21 AM »
Many thanks  8)

It's all quite heavy, clunky stuff (my kinda glass). I called the hyacinth vase "optimistically named" because although it has the appearance of one, the entrance hole is far too narrow and there's virtually nowhere for the roots to go, so they would eventually push the bulb out. Jam jars invariably work, but not all "hyacinth vases"!
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 12:38:35 PM »
I have seen the Elegance things in charity shops, but never without damage. And they're the sort of thing in which any damage sticks out like a sore thumb. :(
But I'll keep on looking.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand