No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vintage glass roemer help please  (Read 620 times)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Vintage glass roemer help please
« on: December 21, 2014, 09:35:52 PM »
I think this has some age, there is dirt embedded in the creases of the glass and seeds within the glass, the pontil base has been pushed up into the glass creating a domed effect, i cant feel or see any wear to the base.

The ring below the bowl looks like a clock cog wheel  has been impressed into the glass.

It's 5 1/4 inches in height, 2 inches across the rim and 3 inches across the base.

Any help welcome regards Chris.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Vintage glass roemer help please
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 11:10:09 PM »
Probably people have very different interpretations of what the expression 'some age' means  -  regret I know less than nothing about römers , but thought it worth asking the obvious............. is the threading real, or moulded?         If moulded then not going to be late C17 ;)       

The cog-wheel collar/merese been around a long time so doubt of any use in dating, and judging by the odd pix I've seen of these things yours looks a bit over brown perhaps, but only guessing.

apparently the Corning Journal of Glass Studies - volumes 10 and 11 (1968 and 1969) discusses development of these things with illustrations, but I couldn't bring either of them up on the Corning web site - but might have missed them.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 07:24:28 AM »
The threading looks hand-applied; the moulded Victorian ones have very even threading. To me it looks old as in pre-Victorian but equally it could be a repro

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 08:57:04 AM »
Just curious - would old glass have been that seedy and bubbly?

I've a few pieces of 18th century  and the glass is pretty clear.

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand