No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hoffman 601 Trinket Box  (Read 739 times)

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Hoffman 601 Trinket Box
« on: December 22, 2014, 05:40:46 PM »
Went to a local sale a month ago where the elderly lady was moving into an assisted living facility & her daughter was selling her mother’s glass & china as there was little need for it anymore. Anyway it turned out her mother & father traveled abroad in the 60s for 7-8 years & always bought Lalique to bring home so there was 50+ pieces of Lalique all signed & priced semi-realistically. I don’t buy Lalique primarily due to cost, but she mentioned there was some other glass that was not signed in the other room. Turned out most was Inwald, decent stuff & this vanity box which she informed me that must have a brass mounting as it was all green before she cleaned it with brasso & a toothbrush just a couple of days before the sale although some small traces of the tarnish can still be found on the metal grooves. Anyway the box triggered a memory of Hoffman’s work so I ended up buying it.

I’ve spent some time looking through all the Desna catalogs I have as whenever they brought out a new catalog I downloaded it plus reproduction info available from Pressglas-Korrespondenz plus repro info from the revised Czech reference by Jones-North, Leach, Forsythe & France which is fairly current & I have been unable to find any information that this particular piece (Hoffman #601) has been reproduced.

One key was found in the Revised Czech reference dealing with vanity items & reproductions was that original Hoffman pieces that had ormolu & jeweled treatment  should have “Austria” in tiny block lettering found on the ormolu which I found on this piece. As for the “butterfly” marking it seems not all Hoffman carried this marking. On this piece even if it had the butterfly, the marking may be covered by the ormolu so thats a dead end.   

Am posting this to see if anyone has seen any info on this #601 Hoffman box other than what I’ve found.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Hoffman 601 Trinket Box
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 02:16:45 PM »
regret I can't help at all Ken, but just wanted to say what a beautiful piece it is - certainly envy you this one.

Reminds us Brits of how much more liberated the Continentals were in their designs  -  assume the amethyst is real.            Wish you luck with finding more information. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: Hoffman 601 Trinket Box
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 06:08:46 PM »
Thanks Paul. Pretty certain the Amethyst is just glass as chapter on Hoffman/Hoffmann stated most all ormolu & glass jewel work was done in Austria. Yes both the Continent & England were quite abit ahead of us (years) in the colonies when it came to Deco design & expression. We didn't really start until 1931/32 in the colonies although alot of the delay was due to our Depression with millions unemployed & economy non-existant...design was the last thing on people's minds. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand