No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Robinson & Bolton Warrington Pressed Glass Tazza / Comport  (Read 1202 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Robinson & Bolton Warrington Pressed Glass Tazza / Comport
« on: January 04, 2015, 05:16:46 PM »
For reference Robinson & Bolton of Warrington  pressed glass tazza / comport .

Design No. 187536 registered 14th June 1865.

First time I have seen this tazza.

Height 6.75"
Diameter 9"

Roy

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Robinson & Bolton Warrington Pressed Glass Tazza / Comport
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 11:24:43 PM »
nice piece Roy...........    the Kew records show what appears to be a plate only and as you can see the drawing doesn't include the column/support like your tazza  -  and a little unusually it includes the decoration as opposed to just a shape.

As usual, watermarking forces some loss of clarity...........the wording reads
"To be Registered for 3 years in Class 3 in the names of Messrs. Robinson & Bolton Warrington - June 14th 1865".

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 08:00:53 PM »
A rarity indeed, Roy.

Thank you, Paul, for kindly showing the Design Representation from TNA.

The Peter Robinson & Edward Bolton, Orford Lane Glass Works, Warrington partnership is mentioned by Thomas Joyce at
http://www.inchicore-pressedglass-museum.org/Edward%20Bolton1.htm
and their RD 187536 is listed as the second of their five registered designs, but this is the first actual example that I have seen shown anywhere.

Roy has already shown Robinson and Bolton’s RD 105196 of 23 June 1856 at
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,40114.0.html
and their RD 195272 of  17 February 1866 at http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,52818.msg300011.html#msg300011
so that only leaves examples their RDs 189615 and 189616 (both registered on 11 September 1865) to be revealed now.

Fred.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 12:17:35 PM »
Thanks Paul and Fred

It is also the first example I have seen , although I have a second example which came with it with a shorter base.

I cannot be sure if it was made and finished this way , a chip polished out after it came out of the mold or if it was chipped and polished out later.

Thanks Roy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand