No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Swedish Glass Viking figure  (Read 19268 times)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Re: Swedish Glass Viking figure
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 02:35:06 PM »
Hi Anne, I have one of these tiny wee ones also and yes, it's Pukeberg - it's the Taisto Kaasinen design again that I was querying originally in this thread.  I first encountered this design as a stoneware figure from Upsala-Ekeby, then I got the matching glass one which was ID'd on here as Pukeberg.  This little one is an exact replica of the larger one - I've compared them side by side.  By coincidence my larger one sold yesterday but I'll take a photo of it next to the small one before I post it off.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 03:14:17 PM »
That's brilliant, thanks Pip! :) I was almost certain it was Pukeberg but couldn't find a labelled one anywhere to prove to the Zookeeper.   Now maybe he'll be allowed to join his bigger pal? ;D
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 05:02:11 PM »
Zoo updated, thanks folks

Offline Craigyboy

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 10:04:47 PM »
Awwwww you must have missed the fab thread on Pukeberg vikings, then

Okay I know the one on the left is a troll.
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,1982.0.html

The Viking in the middle is not by Pukeberg. It is by Lindshammar Glasbruk. It is shown on their website;

http://www.lindshammarglasbruk.se/Produktbilder/Souv.jpg  <--- Mod: Dead Link

They were designed by Christer Sjögren. I have seen them in their boxes which have a print of the design. They come in two sizes, 70mm and 110mm.

Craig

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 11:00:48 PM »
Thanks for that Craig but I understood (from a discussion on here) that Pukeberg and Lindshammer were one and the same thing.  I have an identical ceramic viking by Upsala-Ekeby which is signed by Taisto Kaasinen and dates from 1960 - do you know the date of the Christer Sjogren ones you mention because to compare the Taisto Kaasinen ceramic viking to the glass one I have there is no discernible difference other than one is stoneware and the other is glass.

Offline Craigyboy

• Members
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2007, 01:45:27 AM »
Pukeberg and Lindshammar are not related. Pukeberg is in the hands of two Swedish families and Lindshammar is owned by a Norwegian group that also owns Hadeland Glassworks amongst others, there was talk of Lindshammar closing down last year.

I don't know when Christer Sjögren "designed" the glass figure but that doesn't really matter in this case as it wasn't made by Pukeberg. I wouldn't be surprised if both designers copied something else. I would have thought that one or the other would have complained about their design being copied if it was original. They are both remarkably alike as you say.

Craig

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2007, 07:02:45 AM »
Thought it may be useful to add my latest Viking to this thread... he's a Holmegaard one, and at 7½" towers over the others - middle one (6") is Pukeberg (labelled), smallest one (2¾") is also Pukeberg I think? Can someone confirm the latter please as mine's not labelled and he's languishing in the unknown section of the Glass Zoo at the moment as the Zookeeper won't let him join his pal unless he's positively identified as Pukeberg! ;)  http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5361

Anne, I suspect your Holmegaard Viking is not actually a Viking but the Danish equivalent of King Arthur. He is called Holger Dansk and sleeps for all eternity, only to wake up if the country is in dire peril when he will rush out ( from Elsinore Castle ) with his sword and rescue us all.  I can't remember the full story but will look it up this evening if you are interested. :)

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2007, 09:37:13 AM »
Ivo's book says Christer Sjogren was at Lindshammar 1966 - 67,  Emmi

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2007, 10:03:51 AM »
Ivo's book says Christer Sjogren was at Lindshammar 1966 - 67,  Emmi

Thanks for that Emmi - there's very little in it datewise between the Taisto Kaasinen stoneware viking and the Christer Sjogren glass one.  Not that it matters I was just curious to know who may have been the original designer of that particular Viking form - they're not just similar, they're identical.  As Craig suggests maybe both designers were copying something else.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2007, 09:46:01 PM »
Craig, thanks for the link to the Lindshammar site - that was a surprise!  A nice one though, as I already have the Lindshammar Viking Ship, so he has transport and companions there.  ;D

Pip, thanks for the extra info re the Vikings... isn't it confusing?  :o

Aine, wow! thank you, and yes please I'm interested in the whole story. :)   I wonder if the 12" tall one Glen mentioned may be a similar figure then?  He  looked even more regal than my Holmegaard one does!  ;D
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand