No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Orrefors vase  (Read 2351 times)

Offline malcmat

• Members
    • cheshire
Orrefors vase
« on: January 18, 2015, 02:10:02 PM »
This heavy Orrefors vase by designer Nils Landberg N3596 is 21.5cm tall and I am having difficulty finding the year of manufacture and name.
I suspect it may be around the 1950s but not sure.
Many thanks

Malcolm

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Orrefors vase
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 04:18:43 PM »
according to Vigier & Pina the N on its own indicates pre 1970 for this designer (if post 1970 there would be the addition of the L), and apparently there are a large variety of code sequences for this factory, depending on the type of glass structure.

According to Ivo's book 'Glass fact file a-z' (Millers), Orrefors 'production glass' used sequential numbering from 1935 to 1960, with 1956 commencing with No. 3571, and 1957 commencing with No. 3618  -  so if I have the group correct for your piece then it would appear to have been designed in 1956.
Of course, whether that means it was actually made in that year, we'll need someone else to confirm or otherwise. :)

Offline malcmat

• Members
    • cheshire
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 04:32:54 PM »
Great information thanks Paul S.

Malc

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 07:25:35 PM »
The Orrefors 1960 catalog has the number series 3570 -3601

Looks like your work was done in 1960

Bill G

Offline malcmat

• Members
    • cheshire
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 07:34:51 PM »
Thanks for the further information Bill G.

Malcolm

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 04:37:04 PM »
thanks for correcting me Bill - just shows that a little knowledge can be dangerous  -  long time since we've been honoured with your presence. :)

Just for my own information, are you able to advise if there is a product difference between the number sequence I was quoting from i.e. the 'production glass'  -  and your series for 1960?

there would seem to be a great potential here for getting it wrong, but this might be avoided if the type of product is known - maybe :)

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 07:41:47 PM »
Hi

My answers are not to correct but bring out some data from two books and my 25 years interest in Orrefors, Swedish glass and
being at the Orrefors Glassworks and the Växjo Glass Museum.

The books are:" Orrefors A Century of Swedish Glassmaking" and "Swedish Glass Factories Production Catalogues"

Bill

Offline Donnarob

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • vintage pottery and glass
    • Sandefjord, Norway
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 12:49:42 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum