No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Not a Strathearn salmon - but whose worm? ID = Dragon Glass , Australia  (Read 2689 times)

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
The images below were captured in a collectables emporium in Australia using a phone (hence the image quality, sorry). The item is about 22cm high and heavy walled. The "worm" impressed into the pontil mark has a passing similarity to the Strathearn leaping salmon, but possibly close enough to be more than coincidence. The shape of the vase could pass for Strathearn, but it is not as well made as Strathearn items I have seen, with a small bump and some stray colour pickup. What's more the colours don't look right (to my limited knowledge, at least). 

Who makes such things? It might even be an Australian studio piece, in which case the question becomes: What's their connection to Strathearn?

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
Re: Not a Strathearn salmon - but whose worm?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 10:09:03 PM »
Got it! This is the work of Eric Imeson and Carol Capalija, who operated a glassblowing studio called Dragon Glass near Atherton in far north Queensland (north of Cairns and slightly inland). Sadly, Carol died in April 2014, far too young.

There is a memorial to Carol on a blog, which also shows some images of the studio. More images including Eric and Carol blowing glass and some of their wares can be seen on an earlier edition of the same blog.

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
Here is another item from the same makers. This one does not have the 'worm' stamp, but is simply ground off at the base. Its origin was stated by the previous owner and confirmed by seeing a gallery advertisement illustrating similar items.

Trevor

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand