No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Waterford vase pattern 246/30  (Read 864 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Waterford vase pattern 246/30
« on: January 23, 2015, 02:12:41 PM »
believe Frank kindly provided this pattern No. which occurs in 1970's catalogue - although could be that it refers to the larger (8") of these two only, I'm now not sure.         Both these examples are marked with the factory name.

The smaller one (6") was bought this morning, wrapped carefully in bubble and put inside rucksack, only to jump out onto the pavement when I crossed the road - zip obviously failed.    Surprisingly, only large fleabite sized damage, and cost of £4 not eye watering.

Nigel Benson shows this design in Benson & Hayhurst 'ART DECO TO POST MODERNISM' (2003) - page 37, and quotes size of 10" only  -  so this note is just by way of commenting that the factory seem to have offered the pattern in the three sizes of 6", 8" and 10".
Feel sure, however, that Nigel is aware of more than one size. :)

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Waterford vase pattern 246/30
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 03:25:44 PM »
Nice find Paul, they look earlier than the 70s more 30s, ;D

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 03:30:30 PM »
Except, of, course modern Waterford didn't start until the 1950s

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 04:24:42 PM »
sorry - had meant to say that Nigel comments in aforesaid booklet that this design is 1960's......... but I agree it does look a bit 1930's deco style.              Christine is quite correct with her comments about the factory's re-start period.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand