No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Signed Glass  (Read 16832 times)

Offline m1asmithw8s

• Members
    • http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/m1asmith/
Signed Glass
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2006, 01:45:38 PM »
To those who feel that an artist who signs his or her work reflects that they take pride in their work, I would agree. Hell, I made 1 crummy crimp rose, my total sum paperweight output, and it is Ugly.
But I'm proud as heck that I struggled through the process successfully and so I signed & dated it! (pics upon request...lol).

Recently, I bought a wonderful lampwork weight on ebay script signed ''Joshua Steindler'', pic below:

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2399

The lampwork is just stunning and yet I'd never heard of this guy.
So I asked the seller if he knew of the artist as no info about him was placed in the listing, just his name.
Well, the seller proceeded to tell me, in part, that Joshua Steindler was a member of Paul Stankard's team for several years and that they parted on good terms. Joshua has gone on to make weights on his own and is mainly working on sculptural art.
Well, that explains the quality of the weight.
I'm sure glad that Joshua signed his work so I could find out more about him and how he came about his expertise.
IMO, had this info been included in the listing, the weight would have sold for alot more.
I wanted it, regardless because it is so beautiful and well made.
But some simply want to know more about a piece and the maker before taking the plunge and making a purchase.

Mod: Link corrected

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline David Hier

• Members
    • http://www.glassfairs.co.uk
Signed Glass
« Reply #81 on: July 07, 2006, 04:00:17 PM »
Whilst reading another thread, Frank supplied the following Link, which I thought might be relevant to the discussion about whether or not glass (or art) should be signed:

www.dacs.org.uk/pdfs/uksi_20060346_en.pdf

The above document outlines the The Artist's Resale Right Regulations 2006. The following extract relates to authorship of an artwork:

Proof of Authorship
Where a name purporting to be that of the author appeared on the work when it was made, the person whose name appeared shall, unless the contrary is proved, be presumed to be the author of the work....

In consideration of the above, if an artist doesn't sign their work they may find it difficult to claim any royalties they would be entitled to when their work is sold on the second market. Consequently it would make financial sense for all artists to make sure they sign their artworks.........including glass.
Visit www.glassfairs.co.uk for information on the original National Glass Fair.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Signed Glass
« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2008, 10:04:39 PM »
Does anybody have a date for the introduction of flexible drives?

2 years on, I have given up trying to resolve this one, failed to find patents before 1970 but was fairly certain that we had such in the 50s at home, it was made by Wolf and was used with the cub-master and I was sure jewellers have been using them for a very long time. Perhaps they used to have another name. Usually termed flexible shaft. The electric power hand drill was developed 1895 but potentially flexible shafts were used on other central drive systems earlier than that. All images I have seen of early workshops, no sign

Perhaps others missed Adam's question, but it would be useful to know when such a tool was first available.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand