No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina Glass Vase  (Read 2186 times)

Offline Brianp

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass
    • England
Mdina Glass Vase
« on: January 25, 2015, 02:49:49 PM »
I have recently acquired a vase which I think is Mdina. Can anybody help me confirm one way or another please?
It looks like Sea and Sand design, has eight pulled up areas on the side like ears.
It stands 21cm high ,the bottom is 11cm in diameter and the top4.5cm with no lip.
It weighs 1375gms.
I can email pictures if that would help.
Thanks
Brian

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Medina Glass Vase
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 04:25:28 PM »
Hi and welcome!
We really do need to see images. There are loads of techie tips here

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/board,22.0.html

on how to post images directly to the board, which is our preference, but if you get stuck, click on the envelope under my name to email me, you can send me the images to fix for posting.
Sae and Sand doesn't tend to be a pattern used in what are called "Pulled-ear" vases.
This is an image of the Sea and Sand pattern on a cylinder vase; the second is an amethyst Pulled-ears; the third, a Pulled-ears in teal with silver chloride features. I suspect that may be similar to what you're describing?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Brianp

• Members
    • Glass
    • England
Re: Medina Glass Vase
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 09:29:18 PM »
Thanks it is very much like the 3rd vase in style.
I have tried both my iPad and then my laptop using a separate camera and in both cases I have failed to attach a photo because of the size of the image.
I would like to email you copies if you would kindly give me your email address.
Thanks again
Brian

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Mdina Glass Vase
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 11:14:57 AM »
To email either of us, you need to click on the envelope icon under our usernames. We can't email you, you haven't put the envelope icon under your name.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Brianp

• Members
    • Glass
    • England
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 11:58:19 AM »
Thanks again

I have put the envelope icon on now and have emailed 4 photos to the admin email address via hotmail not using this board for Anne to kindly load if she can .

I would be very interested in your opinion on the vase and will email photos to you direct if I could have your email address.

Brian

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 05:13:51 PM »
Images added to original post for you now, Brian. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 05:34:43 PM »
That looks like an experiment or trial piece and not a pulled ear vase, not seen that shape before. The shape remind me a little of a knobbly vase from Whitefriars. It would not be the first Whitefriars shape to be found that was made at Mdina... Interesting.

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 06:49:05 PM »
I've got a flared-rimmed bulbous vase ~8" tall with 4 "pulled-ear" features, (Thanks to Flying-free,  :-*  who found it and very kindly put it my way, knowing I would be interested.) so I do believe this to be perfectly right and Mdina, they must have experimented a little with the shapes they put this feature on, but decided that it should be on the flanged rim bottle vases, rather than other shapes.
Do you have any inkling as to what sort of date this one of the OP's might be, John? I reckon perhaps between early and mid-'70s?
I'll take a pic of my vase tomorrow and post it.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 11:17:03 AM »
I guess some time after the Boffos arrived up until the mid seventies Sue, with another guess I would imagine from the strong colours of this vase (and also your big beak vase) perhaps 75 or earlier. The colours found do seem to become less intense as the 1970s went on.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 01:38:00 PM »
I'd kind of think post Boffo-arrival myself.
The way the silver chloride is worked in my vase is quite typical of the way I've seen it worked on known Boffo pieces, but the execution of the vase has nothing to do with a Boffo - it is lumpy, squint and wonky, so perhpas somebody less experienced working it the way they've seen it done. Pure speculation!

Sorry for the late arrival of pics. I've been busy.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand