No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Decanter or carafe help please  (Read 519 times)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Decanter or carafe help please
« on: January 29, 2015, 11:38:33 AM »
Any thoughts on this one please, I'm not sure if the stopper is original, it's not a bad fit and has left two ring lines in the neck that match  faults in the stopper so I'm guessing they have been together for a while, a fair bit of wear to the base and a good lead crystal blue in colour.

The design is cut and wheel etched.

8 inches in height without the stopper and 2 1/2 inches across the base.

Regards Chris.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Decanter or carafe help please
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 03:30:54 PM »
Hello Chris...     don't see any etching - just big and small wheel decoration. :)

You don't mention whether either piece shows any matching Nos. -  my own thoughts are that the heavily cut stopper doesn't match the decoration on the body, and the fit on matching items is good, usually, rather than 'not bad'.        Sometimes it's possible to improve a slightly poor fit by using valve grinding paste, but the process does create a matt interior to the neck, and mostly not worth the time spent.
When matching Nos. are visible, the type of script can sometimes help to determine if Continental, or other - but it's not an infallible yardstick.

Don't think the floral decoration helps really - I thought at first bulrushes, but suspect they are just a stylized something.

Possibly not British - and middle third of C20 although could be a little earlier but the amount of wear doesn't appear to suggest C19 age  -  regret no answer to the blue colour.
Attractive piece, but regret so many of these decanters lack specific features which would otherwise aid provenance and they were made in their zillions.
sorry this is really of no help.
I'd suggest this was a decanter rather than carafe  -  mainly because of the narrow neck opening, but that is just my opinion.

Let's hope others might have a better idea of its pedigree :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 04:12:43 PM »
Since I am on the other side of the pond (and I think its European) I don't have anything to offer except it looks high quality. If it were U.S. the stopper would not bother anyone over here as 99% of our cut stoppers don't match any patterns that appear on cut pieces & as long as it fits well we don't lose any sleep over debating whether or not its original, but again thats simply my thoughts. If your circumstances are anything like ours & you are unhappy with the stopper (and I agree it does look a bit strange) just carry it with you & try & find a better fit in antique shops, malls, your boot sales, etc. unless of course you don't have the number of "loose" stoppers we have over here.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 06:05:43 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts, there are no matching numbers on the neck or stopper and I would agree 30's or about that in date, this one is for sale so i'm not worried about the stopper too much.

Regards chris.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand