No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Kosta Vase-Need help identifying designer and age  (Read 2254 times)

Offline Beccat1974

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Art glass
    • USA
Kosta Vase-Need help identifying designer and age
« on: January 30, 2015, 11:05:46 PM »
Hi All! I have this vase with the original, clear "Kosta, Sweden" label. It appears to be unsigned with the exception of what looks like a hand etched "A" or "LA" or "1A"....or they could just be scratches and not deliberate markings at all. It stands just about 8"H. I would love to know who the designer is and the approximate age of the piece. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance. Rebecca

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Kosta Vase-Need help identifying designer and age
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 09:07:06 AM »
hello Rebecca  -  welcome to the GMB :)

Am sure these 'marks' are scratches, unfortunately  -  and looks as though you will have to wait until someone recognizes this particular shape/design.        Much glass from Scandinavia is signed/marked.

On the other hand your label is recorded in the books, and described as a 'black and gold cellophane label with a crown'.             It's unreliable to try and date pieces without specific signatures or date codes, and with a factory such as Kosta their output was truly vast and varied, so again recognizing the pattern may be the only way of dating.              Having said that, this tapering, simple shape was a common feature of Scandi glass from the mid 1950's and the 1960's, and this a likely period of manufacture for your vase, although it could well be later.

fingers crossed someone will recognize your piece.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 01:53:29 AM »
I've not, myself, had any Kosta glass bearing this label that dates to before the early-mid 1970s.

But that might just be a quirk of chance.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 11:27:40 AM »
Looks like the colour of two Vicke Lindstrand Items I have.  I would expect "LHxxxx" to be marked somewhere in the concave section.  The scratch marking may be quite light.  See photos of the items attached.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Beccat1974

• Members
    • Art glass
    • USA
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 08:57:16 PM »
Thank you for your help! I have looked under every kind of light and I do not see a signature anywhere. Is the label a more recent one? Thanks so much!

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 09:31:43 PM »
I wouldn't have thought it was after 1976 because that's when Kosta was renamed Kosta Boda

Offline Beccat1974

• Members
    • Art glass
    • USA
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 09:47:34 PM »
I tried to put some baby powder on the base and at certain angles, it is possible that there is the slightest ghost of a mark. Is it possible for the signature to fade almost completely?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 10:21:43 PM »
I doubt that they fade as such, but with extreme wear they might become illegible.          Signatures and date codes etc., would show as very different types of marking  -  not the randon fine scratches seen on this one.
You're probably just unlucky in having a piece that is unsigned.

Offline Donnarob

• Members
    • vintage pottery and glass
    • Sandefjord, Norway
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 12:46:51 PM »
//www.freeformsusa.com/glass/lind1.htm

The above is a good image of some of Vicke Linstrand.  I have one and there is a definite light grey marking LH and then the number which dates it. 

Is your vase very heavy?

Donnarob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand