No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mtarfa label  (Read 2148 times)

Offline essi

• Members
    • all eras of w/friars and scand
    • england
Mtarfa label
« on: January 31, 2015, 09:50:43 PM »
Bought this today, the seller said he bought this on Malta in the seventies.
Is this an early label ?.
thank you.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Mtarfa label
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 11:58:08 AM »
I would think so. I don't think I've seen one before, and the style of the piece is early Mtarfa. :)

But Mtarfa wasn't set up until 1981, so early '80s, rather than any time in the '70s
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline essi

• Members
    • england
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 04:25:41 PM »
Thanks for that Sue, since I posted that enquiry I noticed in Ivo's book he says circa 1975 for Mtarfa.
Do you know if that label crop's up in any reference book's ?
Thanks again.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 04:57:13 PM »
Very little Mtarfa turns up in any reference books, far less images of labels, I'm afraid.
It is likely that there was even less information about it around when Ivo wrote the book (Glass Fact File a-z was published in 2001.)
In 2000, Lesley Jackson published 20th Century Factory Glass, and in that, there was the very first information I found published on Mdina (apart from a single black and white thumbnail image in an old Miller's Guide, prior to that)  - and that was under Isle of Wight Studio Glass, not meriting a section on its own even then. There is a mention of Mtarfa there, but no dates.
Mdina was discussed in the Ronald Stennet-Willson book, in (I think) 1975, but that went out of print long before I could get hold of a copy.

Maltese glass is has only really become popular in the last 10 or so years, there is very little about it in books.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 01:27:00 PM »
Mike

Offline essi

• Members
    • england
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 02:21:13 PM »
Thanks for that mike. I could not see in the text any reference to a date. Maybe if a few more examples turn up it may give us a timescale for this label.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand