Glass Discussion & Research. NO IDENTIFICATION REQUESTS here please. > Germany

Unsigned studio glass vase - help to identify? Whitefriars/Mdina? ID = Zwiesel

(1/2) > >>

Valsky:
Hello,

I've had a lot of wonderful help recently to identify items from my collection, many of which I've had for a long time.  This piece, however, is completely new to me having only purchased it at a local antiques fair today!  It intrigued me but I know nothing about it.  The lady selling it believed it to be Murano but I thought it had a lot more in common with Mdina glass, though somewhere in my brain Whitefriars also came to mind....

It is v heavy and measures approx. 16cm high, 12cm wide.  The pontil is ground out, concave and smooth.

All help would be much appreciated.
Vx

chopin-liszt:
Not Mdina. It has a bit of a look of Mtarfa about it, but the round polished pontil mark is inconsistent with either of those and so is the shape, really.  ???
I don't think it is Maltese.
I can't help with wfs.

Valsky:
Thanks Sue
Hope you've had a good weekend?
Agreed - the more I look at it the less likely I find the Maltese connection. In person it doesn't really resemble Mtarfa at all either though the colour way is similar. The lady selling it had mostly Mdina on her stall so I did want to eliminate that.
I know nothing at all about WF so hopefully someone out there will come forward with further info.

Much appreciated as always.
Vx

chopin-liszt:
I'm ignoring the weekend, Valsky. I went to a fabulous opera on Thursday evening and I'm still there in my head - I don't want it to stop or to forget one moment of it.  ;D
Hope your time has been fun, whatever you've been up to.  :)
There's nothing much wfs-y about this piece. I might be thinking of Germany, Austria or thereabouts, geographically. Perhaps even Czech, given the shade of topaz (not brown  ;) ) it is.

rocco:
Zwiesel, Germany :)

>> Link

Michael

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version