No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Miniature floral & leaves cameo vase-acid etched? fire polished? Green on clear  (Read 3626 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Green over clear, a kind of blueish green that reminds me of a Harrach piece.
9cm tall, nicely made with the decoration on the flower and leaves all raised off the surface i.e. higher than the surface background of the petals and leaves (should be able to see in close ups in second post below).  Lovely finish on the decoration and the background ... is it fire-polished?

Artist has left a ragged green layer around the rim in the style of Daum.
Has two handles slightly iridescent ish (been advised not a French or Daum shape or colour)
Small polished pontil mark which is perfectly smooth but not perfectly round in shape, the base is 'dished'.
 Remains of green layer showing in the base.
The vase has a blown or fire polished rim.
I believe original Art Nouveau period piece and not recent.

Have researched to the nth degree - can anyone help please?
Thanks for looking  :)
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
More pics of close ups

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
 ;D Perhaps it's the perspex plinth, but) it looks as if it belongs in a museum...
You haven't been on night raids, have you?

It shrieks quality. Maybe something such as Muller Freres? It looks very French, to me.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Sue, I meant to come back and say thank you but think life got in the way at that point :)  I did have a good look at Muller Freres though and it was a great lead but couldn't find a match.

I have just however come across this (sorry about the long link - yikes I hope that work)
Vallerysthal, Vase Maronniers. It has something in common with my vase I think especially the clear background which I think is acid treated in the same way as mine and also the small overlay left around the rim. It's tiny at 11cm.  Mine is 9cm.  This one is dated to around 1895.

Link to quittenbaum.de item

Mine also has much in common with a miniature Galle vase produced around that time (I think - I've seen another one on Chasen Antiques but unfortunately their site is down for maintenance at the moment.)

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/VASE-MINIATURE-VERRE-PATE-DE-VERRE-SIGNE-GALLE-/121741390497?hash=item1c585a32a1

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Just adding this small tumbler from Chasen Antiques as a reference since the style or design of the tendrils appears to have similarities to mine:
http://www.chasenantiques.com/product-view.php?p=470

http://www.chasenantiques.com/images/products/original_470_1.jpg

here with signature showing
http://jamesdjulia.com/item/lot-566ao-signed-galle-miniature-tumbler-67854/

And this is a signed Legras version, also a miniature with handles and acid cut back with flowers on, signature gilded on base
https://www.rubylane.com/item/325771-GCE1512/Legras-St-Denis-French-Cameo-Glass
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I have discovered a vase that is enamelled and signed Webb Corbett that also uses this acid cameo background.
No idea how big it is though as despite it being thousands to buy, the seller hasn't listed the size  :-X

Anyway, it appears they used this background for at least one vase.

I have also found it used on another English makers piece dating to a similar period.
There 'might' be a connection between that other English maker and Webb Corbett.  I have evidence of a possible connection.

The handles of this little vase remind me of something the other maker has made.

Long shot - probably not either the other English maker nor Webb Corbett given the style but I've just added the information just in case.

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
makers maker's

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
 ;D
Not makers' apostrophes to have to add to those belonging to the grocer?

Thanks for reporting all your extra research! :-*
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
no, one maker only and referring to that maker's piece :) :)

I'm just adding it in case I forget - pretty sure it is nothing to do with Webb Corbett at all.
But I thought interesting to find a piece from them with this acid etched background.
There are at least two other pieces that may have some link with them and also have this background.

But all are very large  - none miniature.

m

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Corrections to misused or missed apostrophes should be forgotten if a post has been untouched for more than an hour. Otherwise I cannot resist finding the original mistake and wondering why I missed it first time around.  ;D

I am even worse with the misuse of apostrophes in plurals such as "photo's" ... I have to work hard at not editing them whenever they appear.

Somebody please report this post and ask me to delete myself.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand