No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Can someone give me some information about this object  (Read 588 times)

Offline tim1978

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Val saint Lambert, and Legras
    • Belgium
Can someone give me some information about this object
« on: February 03, 2015, 12:34:40 PM »
I have no idea if this vase is old, where it comes from...
It's engraved and in the engraving painted.
15 cm tall and a silver rim.
thanks Tim

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Can someone give me some information about this object
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 04:30:09 PM »
hi Tim  -  I wouldn't have thought this was a vase - the neck appears too small  -  possibly for cologne perhaps.
I can't see coloured paint in the recesses of the engraving, but just possible there are some remains of gilding - gold coloured (or even real gold) paste worked into the design and then fired to make permanent.

Can't see the inside of the neck due to the silver band, but does it appear worn as though this may have at one time had a stopper?
and you might see if you can read the mark on the silver collar  -  I suspect some origin your side of the water - although it's a fact that glass and metal parts of the same object will probably have originated from different sources.

Date wise I'd suggest possibly late Vicorian or early C20 - but there might be more of a clue if you can decypher the silver mark.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 05:29:34 PM »
It looks like the bottom part of a cocktail shaker to me, but is a bit small for that purpose - and it is quite probably older than "cocktails" are, anyway.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 09:08:15 AM »
is the base polished flat or does it have a round large polished pontil mark on it?
Can we see a clear unblurred close up of the enamel decoration please.
The enamelling is similar to that used on mid 19th century Bohemian glass.
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 12:39:55 PM »
enameling m ??  do I need to visit Specsavers again ;)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 02:31:51 PM »
no :) I do  - the matt engraving, to me, looked like pale cream enamelling with gilding on it.
I guess from your comments that it's matt engraving with some deeper lines engraved through it that have been gilded.

I do need to read more closely ... but it would help enormously if photos uploaded were unblurred close ups that can be enlarged to a sufficient size to see the detail  :-[ 

Tim apologies  :) Welcome to the board - and it's not just your photos, but there have been many that don't use the full facility to post to 600x400 which enlarges to a sufficient size.
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 02:54:59 PM »
Tim seems to be fairly confident that there appears to be some gilding within the recesses of the wheel engraving - it has that slight pale brassy look.             Good close up pix take a little while to master, but I'd agree that they would help in this instance.         The old trick (from Rose) that I use still, is to hold a lens/loupe between the camera and subject - and get quite close to the piece and click when focus is sharp.

To me this looks to have a flat bottom, but can't be sure.             Can't agree with Sue's cocktail shaker  -  that orifice looks way to small ;D

Welcome from me too Tim :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand