No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: vasart vases for beginners  (Read 3261 times)

Offline mjr

• Members
vasart vases for beginners
« on: June 12, 2006, 02:20:54 PM »
The following are described as Ysart type. The shapes look familiar but with my very limited non paperweight knowledge, the colours look unusual. Are these ***art??

Martin

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 03:36:49 PM »
The left one is Nazeing or Nazeing style, the right one possibly the same, but could, maybe, possibly, perhaps  :? be Ysart, need to see the base.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 07:25:57 AM »
Frank,  Just curious. They are coming up at an auction and I came across them whilst searching for paperweights Let me know if you want to follow up - I am sure they will send you a picture of the base.  I would pm but that doesnt work

I actually  bought my first ever vase last week via ebay (only because it was vv cheap (99p) as the base was cracked) but I havent got the space for the paperweights, never mind vases.
Martin

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 08:07:39 AM »
I don't find them very interesting and I am inclined to doubt the whitish one is Ysart in any case.

What would be interesting is the technique that puts the bubble in the centre of the blobs. Very eye like and regarded as typical of Nazeing if not exclusive to them.

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 05:58:18 PM »
Quote from: "Frank"
What would be interesting is the technique that puts the bubble in the centre of the blobs. Very eye like and regarded as typical of Nazeing if not exclusive to them.

I always thought these were done by blowing into a pineapple mould to get the indentations, then skimmed witth a thin gather and blown out. The one on the right looks like an effecct you can get with silver leaf when you melt it in completely so that it reacts with the glass and then splits as you blow.
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 10:27:02 PM »
For the vase to the right, I think it might be rather like one I have, for which I have no attribution.

It's a small vase. [I really should update the photo that states it as 812 mm !! ... 82 mm is correct.] It's finished with a thin, bubbly coating (extremely tiny bubbles) which has then been crackled. The coating does reach to the rim but because of the thinness of the colour, at a distance it appers to have a clear border below the rim.

The base view shows that it was finished with central grinding and polishing but it's a bit off-centred and the edge of the polished area is not properly circular.

Side view:
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2333
Base view:
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2332

If anyone recognises this (or the one Martin showed), I'd be pleased to know more about it.
KevinH

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 10:14:32 AM »
Adam, pineapple mould would surely give a regular result. I would be more inclided to suspect the pieces of enamel have a minute particle that vaporises. The tiny bubbles are always in the center of a colour 'blob'. Memory on terminology not working today :roll:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand