No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: vase, concave pontil, darkish green, sloping, slightly angled base  (Read 1844 times)

Offline chris.cooper

• Members
Dark willow green colour 7 7/8" high. Best described as a tear drop but the rim and base are not polished. Perfect "whitefriars" ground out puntee base, any ideas?

Thanks Chris

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
Is it Whitefriars?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 09:08:32 PM »
Chris,
It's hard to say without a picture to look at.
FWIW, all my WF teardrops are bang on 8" tall, have flat ground bases and ground rims with chamfered edges.  To my knowledge WF never made teardrops in willow - bright green cased, meadow and sage, yes, but not willow.
You can check the Whitefriars catalogues.  They are available at http://www.whitefriars.com
Cheers,
Chris

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chris.cooper

• Members
Is it Whitefriars?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 04:00:59 PM »
Sorry about that, here is the picture:

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Is it Whitefriars?
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 04:08:37 PM »
Cheers for the picture Chris - I post as 'Gina' on the wf.com site, sorry for any confusion!   :oops:

I'm still a bit confused by your vase, concave pontil, darkish green, sloping, slightly angled base...it doesn't seem to fit anything I know!

Is there much base wear btw?
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Is it Whitefriars?
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 09:52:16 PM »
You say there's good base wear on WF.com.  I can only think of 1950's Murano, as some pieces from that era did have the concave polished pontil mark.  However, it's not a shape I recognise.  I hope someone else might be able to shed some light!  :)
I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand