No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Czech?Tango? yellow & black small vase  (Read 2033 times)

Offline pam2va

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
Czech?Tango? yellow & black small vase
« on: February 17, 2015, 11:20:26 PM »
Hello,
I found this little vase in an estate sale lot; didn't even know it was there! It's one I'm keeping for myself!
It's 8 1/2", 20.5 cm tall. Cased, clear over a warm, orange-y yellow with black threads encased in ribs running up the sides. Polished top. No markings (though there is a taped on label that must of meant something to someone...). I assume it's Czech but would love to know more about it.
Thanks for taking a look,
Pam

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: Czech?Tango? yellow & black small vase
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 10:19:48 PM »
Hi Pam,
yes, looks like Tango glass from Czechoslovakia. Nice vase :)
I have a similar piece in orange.

Pieces like ours were included in the >> Tango glass exhibition, as far as I can see (the text on the cabinet is quite hard to read), they were made in the Vysocina region between 1918 and 1935.
Seems difficult to attribute them to a particular glass works...

Michael

Offline pam2va

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 12:20:39 AM »
Thank you very much for your reply, information and the link to the Tango Glass exhibit pages. Yes, it's nearly impossible to read the captions on the display cases, esp. the one that contains the vase you've posted. Beautiful piece; love how the threads wind around! Love your "collection" esp. the ceramics!

Well, I have a mini-collection, three now, of Czech glass (at least I think the other two in front are Czech, too)! Here's a photo (don't have other views)
Pam

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 07:07:47 AM »
I think (but I could be wrong) that the fat yellow one is Scandinavian (designer Nanny Still?)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 09:19:16 AM »
Thanks Pam :)
Nice collection! I particularly like the one to the left with the black drip decoration.

For the big one with the black handles, I would rather think Italian (Empoli?) than Scandinavian...

Michael

Offline pam2va

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 04:03:03 PM »
Thank you both for your input. I have never been able to find images online that resemble either piece. I did a quick search for yellow Empoli and Nanny Still but nothing looked similar (to me...but obviously, I don't collect glass).

"Drippy" one has a rough pontil and no marks; yellow, cased over white.
"Fat" handled vase - impulse purchase 30 years ago at a flea market; the start of my 'collection'. Translucent yellow, cased over white. No marks.

Sometime I will take some proper photos and post for an id.

[/quote]

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 06:56:22 PM »
Regarding the big handled vase to the right, I thought of pieces like these orange Empoli vases:
https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/dining-entertaining/glass/1960s-pair-of-italian-cased-glass-vases/id-f_1344968/

No idea about your other vase, though...

Michael

Offline pam2va

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 04:30:40 PM »
Thank you again Michael! I think you might be right about it being Empoli. I found a photo (google image search) of an expired ebay listing (Australia?) of my exact vase in orange. Expired link but I could see the the partial title inc. "...attr Empoli..." Unfortunately, I can't find the picture again!
On another subject, I'm looking for specific info on Reidel's Colombo Smoke glasses. I see a thread you contributed to in 2012; should I post my query on that thread or just start a new one?
Pam

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 04:54:46 PM »
Hi Pam,
I guess it is up to you.
If you have a particular question, start a new thread!
(I may even be able to help, being based in Austria ;) )

Michael

Offline pam2va

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 07:53:22 PM »
Started a new thread (for Riedel/Colombo) under Czech...Austrian discussion. Take a look when you get a chance. Thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand