No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Riedel Colombo Asimmetrico "smoke" glassware; label but no molded "logo"  (Read 2630 times)

Offline pam2va

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
Hello! Hope I've started this in the right area. Austrian glass/Italian designer!

I have several  (they're packed away right now...but more than a half dozen) Joe Colombo Asimmetrico/smoke and sip, liquore size glasses. Approx. 4 1/2", 11 cm tall.

I'm stumped because most of what I've found online have "Riedel" and "Joe Colombo" molded just above the base. THESE DO NOT!? Several still have the original Riedel labels... I did find one in MOMA's online collection that appears not to have the molded name...
http://www.moma.org/collection/object.php?criteria=O%3AOD%3AE%3A2136&page_number=1&template_id=1&sort_order=1&background=gray

So, can anyone tell me why? Are these earlier? later? Just a variation? Specific to the size?

Thanks for taking a look.

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: Riedel Colombo Asimmetrico "smoke" glassware; label but no molded "logo"
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 07:32:07 PM »
Hi Pam,
that's really a tough question. ;)

I own 9 champagne glasses (bought on two different occasions within several years), and three wine glasses like yours.
None have the moulded marks, the champagne glasses have the acid etched CJR mark to the base, the wine glasses even lack that.
So at least  the mark doesn't seem to be specific to the sizes.

I checked my (great, btw) Joe Colombo book, and the example pictured there doesn't have the moulded "Joe Colombo" either.
According to the book, designed 1964-68, and in production at Riedel Glas Kufstein from 1968. Not stated how long they were made, but well into the 1970s I would think...

My best guess would be that two different moulds were used for the foot, no idea if at the same time, or one after the other.

Maybe the moulded lettering was used for glasses meant for export?
Or the mould was changed after the untimely death of Joe Colombo in 1972?
(Only speculation of course)

Sorry, cannot be of more help...

Michael

Offline pam2va

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
Re: Riedel Colombo Asimmetrico "smoke" glassware; label but no molded "logo"
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 09:22:28 PM »
Thank you Michael for the reply and info!

I unpacked several of mine and they have the etched CJR logo on the base, too. I assumed they were bought in the US because of the "made in" label but who knows!

I also found an example (champagne glasses; brave, toasting with these!) from the Philadelphia Museum; no molded names on these either.
http://www.philamuseum.org/collections/permanent/105865.html?mulR=228010484|1
They also give the same dates as you have.

I think it may be telling that the museums have this version in their collections (ok, two museums)... that they may be the earlier version or perhaps, as you mentioned, they were produced simultaneously and they preferred these? Wouldn't they have the best/earliest examples? Molding his name on them could be considered a concession to marketing...

Well, anyways, eventually someone will know. I'll post if I find out more.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand