No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue Pearline Creamer - ID = Davidson  (Read 951 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Blue Pearline Creamer - ID = Davidson
« on: February 25, 2015, 04:31:48 PM »
A blue pearline creamer which for the first day thought it was almost certain Henry Greener, the pattern looked familiar. But now I am beginning to think it maybe Davidson.
The Greener patterns which I thought looked similar after checking do not match.
The creamer is not marked.
Height 4.75"

Thanks Roy

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Re: Blue Pearline Creamer Henry Greener or Davidson
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 08:10:10 PM »
The nearest pattern I can find is a Davidson pickle jar RD 153858 registered on the 2nd August 1890.

A link to a Davidson pickle jar on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-Victorian-George-Davidson-Buttonhole-Glass-Pickle-Storage-Jar-Circa-1890-/171667025800?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27f826ef88

Roy

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 08:18:36 PM »
I would say it was the same

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 08:28:49 PM »
Yes I would say the same , I have just found a registered Davidson blue posy basket in the same pattern. I do not think I have ever seen another piece of blue pearline in this pattern.

Roy

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 08:47:32 PM »
Roy

Davidson's Suite 1891.  Pictured in a c1894 Davidson catalog held by the Rakow Library in Corning, NY.

Nice piece!

Sid

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 09:31:08 PM »
Here is an example with the matching blue pearline sugar bowl.

I have never seen a piece in this RD 153858 pattern in primrose pearline, and the creamer and sugar are the only pieces that I have seen in the pattern in blue pearline, so a look at the blue pearline posy basket would be interesting. 

I have seen the posy basket and circular plate in this pattern in amber glass, but the vast majority of pieces seem to be in clear glass.

Fred.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Re: Blue Pearline Creamer - ID = Davidson
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 11:45:22 AM »
Thanks Sid and Fred

Fred the posy basket was only in blue not pearline.
You say you have only seen the sugar bowl and creamer in pearline would you say they are quite rare, its just that I seem not to remember seeing pearline in this pattern or I am just getting old. I do have a larger jug in the same pattern in my Welsh Dresser at present but only in clear glass.

Roy

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: Blue Pearline Creamer - ID = Davidson
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 01:53:00 PM »
Roy, the Davidson RD 153858 (1891 Suite) blue pearline sugar and creamer are certainly uncommon.

On page 74 of Raymond Slack's "English Pressed Glass 1830-1900" there is a 4-sheet colour advert from the Pottery Gazette of 1 April 1893 showing Davidson's primrose pearline and blue pearline pieces. The advert shows 5 pieces in blue pearline corresponding to the RD 153858 (1891 Suite) - a 4-piece water set (comprising a large jug, a pair of tumblers and an underplate/tray), plus a lidded biscuit box (with, I think, an attached underplate). I can't remember seeing photos of actual examples of any of those advertised RD 153858 (1891 Suite) shapes.

There are no 1891 suite pieces in the primrose pearline sheets from the Pottery gazette advert.

By the way, I have never seen any Davidson RD 153858 (1891 Suite pieces) in plain blue (with or without RD numbers) either. 

Fred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand