No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Loetz Bowl  (Read 3749 times)

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Loetz Bowl
« on: February 25, 2015, 10:19:51 PM »
Picked this up today, signed Loetz Austria, 9 1/2" diameter & 3 1/2" height. Now I am not up to par with Loetz decors am not certain so am asking if this is Candia Papillon? Thanks

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
Re: Loetz Bowl
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 10:22:55 PM »
I hope I'm wrong but I always thought the signature had to be wheel-engraved and not diamond-tip signed? ???

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 11:37:26 PM »
Creta Papillon not Candia

Creta is green
Candia more amber

alas I think Anne Tique might be right it could be an added signature -but it doesn't stop the piece being 100% Loetz

Mike

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 04:25:10 AM »
Thanks Mike...I revisited the patterns & you are correct...I just could not visualize the differences with my bifocals...thats a better explaination than admitting its an age factor. Again Mike most appreciated. Ken

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 04:54:33 AM »
I hope I'm wrong but I always thought the signature had to be wheel-engraved and not diamond-tip signed? ???

While I do not normally buy Loetz since 75%+ of the Loetz in U.S. antique shops & malls is actually Rindskopf & Kralik, I have looked into the signatures "deal" over the years just in case. Loetz signatures were engraved using a  high oscillation engraving needle...a wheel was not used. Secondly while one example exhibits characters that are broad to the point of being misshapen & carries what are purported to be lines under high magnification thus proclaiming this is what all signatures should look like, there are advanced knowledgable collectors that believe this is not the case that there were variations possibly by use of different equipment/methods over the years although everyone does agree signed pieces should not exist past 1903. I don't get into these debates between parties as to which is the correct view...you cannot win. Of course it was orginally believed that signed pieces only existed on exports which now has proven to be incorrect. The signature on mine is engraved to a significant depth & is relatively broad in character so I am not overly concerned when comparison to others are in the ballpark.

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 07:48:03 AM »
Thanks for the explanation re the signature, several sites mention wheel-engraved .... but obviously this is a way of describing that particular signature.

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 09:17:34 AM »
Interesting -I missed the information that signatures do not exist post 1903 (makes sense)- but where is that stated?

Also, although it wasn't only export pieces that were signed,  I thought the vast majority of signatures were probably due to export (predominantly to US not at that time rest of Europe) in fact I thought the only others were for exhibitions and other special occasions.

M

Offline glass man

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • art glass
    • usa
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 02:57:45 PM »
I live in the  United States. The way I heard is that L. C. TIFFANY sued Loetz because his work was to similar to his.  Thus for only the last 20 years of production was signed.  I have only seen a couple of signed pieces and I do not remember the Technic. I was said that an antique dealer north of us, for $5 her husband  would pull a stylus out of his shirt pocket and signed your piece with any name you want. A lot of collectors in the USA became weary of possible false signatures and stopped buying glass.

Does any one here know how many workers worked for Loetz?  The glass blowers and decorators. Also the actual years in business?
Thanks, Bob

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 08:16:48 PM »
Thanks for the explanation re the signature, several sites mention wheel-engraved .... but obviously this is a way of describing that particular signature.
Well thats what one well known site states...another states wheel engraved. Thats always been the problem with these Loetz websites as their views/facts at times do not match up with one another. Its a minefield even though the individuals behind them are well known..

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 08:29:40 PM »
Well thats what one well known site states...another states wheel engraved. Thats always been the problem with these Loetz websites as their views/facts at times do not match up with one another. Its a minefield even though the individuals behind them are well known..

Sorry, ...i wasn't referring to your explanation ... which makes more sense ... it's just like you said, several sites label it wheel-engraved.
Maybe I expressed myself not very well, but I meant the wheel-engraved signature when I mentioned 'that particular signature'... sorry for the confusion.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand