No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stuart or Harrach ?  (Read 8740 times)

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Stuart or Harrach ?
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2006, 01:27:57 PM »
We've taken a fresh photo of one of our "Tornado Variant" (i.e. peacock feather motif) vases and I have extended an article that I had written previously. If you're interested in seeing all the photos etc., the direct link is here (you can get the links to the rest of the article from this page too). You can also go direct from my main home page (url in footer here)

http://www.geocities.com/carni_glass_uk_2000/Tornado1.html

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Stuart or Harrach ?
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2006, 03:47:06 PM »
I said, earlier:
As for the piece that I showed a while ago, owned by a friend, I will hopefully be looking at it again this Saturday. I will try to get whatever details I can about the mark that is on it (which I suspect will be an etched "Stuarts").
Ah! Good intentions. I visited the friend but in the heat (actual and metaphorical) of the day's other events, I entirely forgot about the vase. :oops:
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline David Hier

• Members
    • http://www.glassfairs.co.uk
Stuart or Harrach ?
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2006, 10:42:51 PM »
Quote from: "Glen"
We've taken a fresh photo of one of our "Tornado Variant" (i.e. peacock feather motif) vases.....

It's interesting to see some better photos of such distinctive glassware, which is so different to what most people refer to as 'peacock eye' glass. Interesting stuff!

The new posts to this topic remind me that I should try and capture some stills from the DVD footage of the Webbs catalogue I have.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how this might be done?
Visit www.glassfairs.co.uk for information on the original National Glass Fair.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Stuart or Harrach ?
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2006, 11:46:22 PM »
David, I don't have the technical knowhow for proper image capturing from a DVD, although I thought there were controls in some players that allow exactly that.

However, perhaps it would be sufficient to simply pause on the required images and take a standard photo of the screen and work from there? Or just use standard pc controls for image capture, as below?

As an experiment, here's an image I took (without permisssion !!) from a rather good DVD on British Birds:
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2316

I ran the video via Windows Media Player (to keep it basic), paused the play then used Alt + Prnt Scr to capture the DVD window. After resizing the captured image to 500 pixels width and sharpening, I optimised it from over 200Kb to around 50K. The full-sized result is not too different in quality from the actual paused DVD image.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand