No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Orrefors Crystal Bowl - info please.  (Read 744 times)

Offline misha

• Members
    • In the Hills of Melbourne - Australia
Orrefors Crystal Bowl - info please.
« on: February 28, 2015, 06:21:26 AM »
Interesting find today.

Hand engraved: Orrefors 2B 5171- 12

Size: 180mm D x 100mm H  x 15mm T - 1.82 kg.

Are Orrefors pieces generally hand engraved or is there something 'special' about this one? and so...

[sorry to ask, but super slow internet, and it would take forever looking through Orrefors catalogues]

If a line item, what pattern or series is this example?

Thank you Orrefors experts.

So it goes.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Orrefors Crystal Bowl - info please.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 09:24:48 AM »
could be wrong, but have a feeling the '2' might not be a '2'............   the Orrefors coding lists the designer Lena Bergstrom who signs her work LB...............   the remainder of the code is possibly the design No. and possibly the date of 2012.
Really only guessing that last part, but a possibility. :)

Edited to add..........    According to Vigier & Pina this lady started with Orrefors in 1994.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline misha

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 12:03:29 PM »
Thanks for reply Paul.
You could be right... and I'm wrong reading an L to be 2. 
And it follows, the number sequence may end with IL or 1L
I assumed the 12 being 2012

:-\

I thought the hand engraved detail was odd - odd that a major manufacturer had a team of engravers working every piece they produced.
I can't imagine that happening unless there was something different about an item produced.... as you see Kosta Boda hand made, limited edition production engraved.

This is certainly one heavy chunky bit of crystal!
I don't usually find clear crystal appealing, but this one cried out to be picked up.
What I see is generally moulded to look like deep cut, or wheel engraved wine glasses.   Just not my thing.
Despite not having my reading glasses, I could make out a small engraving.... looked interesting being so 'plain'. The refraction effect off the wide bevel rim had me.  Works like a lens as I carry it around the room... thats where the colour comes from, reflection of room colour around that rim.
So, it wasn't till I got home that I could make out it was hand engraved... and even longer to work out it read Orrefors. Not surprising the 2 > L misinterpretation.  ::)
So it goes.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 12:36:43 PM »
the Scandi factories do seem to have had a thing about signing their wares - it's quite an historic thing and looks to go back a long way - Orrefors pieces for example are apparently recorded with designer initials/codes from as early as 1914, and other factories often back to the 1930's.

This is most definitely not my area, but from my little experience would suggest that signed pieces are not uncommon I don't think, and reflect the factories arrangements with in-house designers who were big part of Scandi glass.        Just possible that in recent decades might also be something they've discovered is a sales promotional feature.........   always makes a piece more interesting to know who designed a piece, and gives extra desirability.

there was a time when we had some knowledgeable Scandi collectors who by now would have given us all the answers - where are they when you need them ;)

Offline glass man

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • art glass
    • usa
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 12:47:19 PM »
All Orrefors Crystal I have seen is hand engraved. New in the stores here in the states it has a red label on it. I see it in antique malls and shows. It does not have a strong re-sale market where I live. Michigan. Bob

Offline misha

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 12:59:26 PM »
Shame about the re-sale market, Bob.
I didn't pay much... very little.
Sad considering it always appears to be of high production quality wares.

I'd usually pass this stuff with little interest, personally.
I've seen well made, quality crystal 'plain' jugs and drinking glasses around my travels but, I have little use for such things. I have no use for wine or beer glasses.

Come to think of it, I've little use for a bowl like this too, unless I take up eating cereal for breakfast.   :D

The common label I see is clear plastic with a gold text... your market must get the red as you say.
I've never noticed each being hand engraved, because I don't usually pick the stuff up or look.

So it goes.

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 04:39:10 PM »
All Orrefors Crystal I have seen is hand engraved. New in the stores here in the states it has a red label on it. I see it in antique malls and shows. It does not have a strong re-sale market where I live. Michigan. Bob
Same thing here in Ohio. None of the Scandi glass nor 95% of studio glass have even a 1/2 way decent resale market, all of it just sits here. Not long ago I could have purchased a signed Mdina Michael Harris design Fish/ Axe Head vase for $70 & I passed as even on eBay (I am speaking of U.S. eBay only) there is close to zero interest. They sell well in europe but not here.   

Offline misha

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 05:50:53 PM »
As far as the US eBay site is concerned, the USPS rates that apply [to ship to me] are outrageous. This has killed off all trading from USA for me.

eg. The Mdina vase you mention would cost more than US$70 to ship to me.

I'm not sure of what shipping rates are to Europe and if that has had the same effect for many buyers located there.

But thats another subject.
As is what Anne mentions about probable VAT changes coming in a thread on Cafe board.
Do you fancy paying an extra 20% as a buyer or having to forward 20% tax if you sell anything to the UK or a rate that applies in EU countries in the future?  >:(
So it goes.

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 06:03:16 PM »
Same situation here. I've never bought a single piece from Europe in 17 years on eBay because of shipping/insurance cost. The new situation you speak of is already in place & one lady I know who lives in Canada only 140 miles from me just experienced the following happen to her with the new system in place.

"you have your bid amount, plus the quoted shipping amount, then some arbitrary non calculable Pitney Bowes amount, and then you have the additional 20% exchange, wrapped onto the whole total which ends up as an incredibly inflated bottom line. So the last item I bought when everything was said and done cost me exactly twice what my final bid was as the last was final bid $77. Paypal withdrawl $155."

This idiotic move by eBay management may well be the final straw for everyone who bought out of country from the U.S. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand