No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Goodbye Bernard!  (Read 9989 times)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Goodbye Bernard!
« on: March 05, 2015, 01:30:13 PM »
Hello everyone,

This morning I had an email from the organisers of the Knebworth and National Glass Fairs to let me (and others) know that, to our great sadness, Bernard Cavelot has passed away.

He was a consummate member of the GMB and always wanted accuracy with anything to do with glass history and identification; he also had an in depth knowledge of publishing that he shared when helpful to others.

He and I often had lively discussions about glass, sometimes on the GMB and occasionally via email which enhanced our mutual respect and I, amongst many, will miss him, both on these boards and meeting up at fairs.

A few fairs back he came up to me with a parcel and said "You seem to be the Hailware man, so here's something that may help your research." He handed me the parcel which contained a Hailware lampshade. How very kind, but typical of the man. He would do anything to help forward knowledge about glass.

At Knebworth recently, there was a breakage on his stand while he and Janet were packing. A sad event, which he took badly. It obviously affected him, particularly as it was a piece of Walsh Walsh that he'd only seen two examples of. After a bit he came over to me (our stands were diagonally opposite each other) and suggested that perhaps he should send the pieces of this rare piece to Corning in order that they could analyse the shards to work out the chemical composition. It was his way of making the best out of a rotten situation, and I considered that it would be both cathartic for him whilst also realising that it was also a generous thought.

I am very pleased that or last conversation was positive and will be a lasting memory of a well thought of glass man.

Bye, bye Bernard

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Goodbye Bernard!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 01:43:00 PM »
My condolences to Janet and Bernard's friends and family. We didn't always get on, unfortunately, but it is very sad to see a life cut short.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 01:48:15 PM »
My sincere condolonces to Janet and the rest of Bernard's family.
I'm stunned and shocked. He will be sorely missed.
He was a completely unique, larger-than-life, character.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 02:13:15 PM »
So sorry to hear this I was hoping to meet him one of the days, deepest condolences to his family.

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 02:51:24 PM »
Having only chatted to him once or twice in person, not enough to say he was a friend, I still admired the unchanging precision of Bernard and his commitment to the history of the glass he admired, irrespective of fashion. His threads on the GMB reflect this informed, unstinting enthusiasm.

Robert (Boba)

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 03:07:45 PM »
Very shocked to hear this sad news, particularly since I saw him so recently at a fair. I can hardly believe it.

He sometimes had forthright views, but no one could deny his passion for or knowledge of glass.

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 03:17:58 PM »
Sad sad day Bernard ,  Harvey Ferry and Harry Crossley . RIP and get together Guys .

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 04:07:49 PM »
R.I.P
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 04:14:15 PM »
I'm so sad to hear this news, and send my deepest sympathies to Janet and their family. Bernard was one of the first members to welcome me to the board when I landed here, green and keen to learn more about glass, and generously shared his knowledge both on the board and by email on many occasions. I had the pleasure of meeting him just the once, at the Northern Glass Fair, and had a really interesting time with him and Janet. Bernard has also served the Glass Message Board as one of its Committee since its inception, and his wise advice and humourous approach to dealing with issues will be much missed by his fellow Committee members.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 04:29:37 PM »
I am doubly sad.

Sad that he has passed away (although my own beliefs entail a continuation for all).
And sad that at the Knebworth event I was too engrossed in other things to make time to say hi to him and Janet.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand